Exploring the Potential of 3D Printing Plasma Structures in Midair

In summary: It's also legal to build fusion reactors and railguns at home, but doing so without the appropriate permits could get you into some trouble.
PicassoCT
Hi everyone,

i recently saw some videos were a microwave laser (gaser) was used to create a plasma in midair. So the first part of my question is, if you could handle the ray fast enough, could one print 3dimensional-layered plasmastructures into non-disturbed atmosphere? If no, what did i not comprehend ?
Link to Assumption basis:

Further looking into this direction of thought, i also discoverd that some proposed to use lasers to create plasma-channels that would transport big currents (Lightning).. and so my follow up question, only valid if the first one passes of course, would be. Can you have a current charge through a plasma construct printed into midair?
Link to Assumption basis:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-03/lightning-can-strike-twice-if-you-have-some-lasers

If yes, again, then where do you get the lasers for a little experimen? Also is it legal to build fusion reactors and railguns at home?

Thank you for your thoughts and time

Physics news on Phys.org
One problem is that the plasma structures would dissipate pretty much immediately after the laser pulse.

Is there a way to support them long enough to be usefull?
Or reprint them fast enough?

Anybody any Links on supporting plasmas that i can read upon?

PicassoCT said:
Anybody any Links on supporting plasmas that i can read upon?

Containing a plasma and making it do what you want is, generally, incredibly difficult, just ask the guys working on Fusion Power. If you're wanting to create channels in air, you're simply not going to be able to control them very well.

PicassoCT said:
If yes, again, then where do you get the lasers for a little experimen?

Lasers with the power you'd need are probably extremely expensive and may not be available for sale to the general public.

Related to Exploring the Potential of 3D Printing Plasma Structures in Midair

1. What is 3D printing plasma?

3D printing plasma is a type of additive manufacturing process where a gas, usually a noble gas such as argon or helium, is used to create a plasma jet that is directed at a material, causing it to melt and solidify in a desired shape. This process allows for the creation of complex and intricate 3D objects.

2. How does 3D printing plasma work?

In 3D printing plasma, a high-energy beam of plasma is used to melt and fuse layers of material together to form a 3D object. The plasma is created by ionizing a gas and then accelerating the ions towards the material using an electric field. The material is then deposited layer by layer to create the desired object.

3. What materials can be 3D printed using plasma?

3D printing plasma can be used to print a variety of materials, including metals, ceramics, and composites. However, the material must have a high melting point and be able to withstand the intense heat and electric fields generated by the plasma beam.

4. What are the advantages of using 3D printing plasma?

There are several advantages to using 3D printing plasma. First, it allows for the creation of complex and detailed objects that may be difficult or impossible to achieve with traditional manufacturing methods. Additionally, the process is highly precise, allowing for tight tolerances and fine details. 3D printing plasma also offers faster production times and can be used with a variety of materials.

5. What are the limitations of 3D printing plasma?

One limitation of 3D printing plasma is the high cost of equipment and materials, making it less accessible for small-scale production. Additionally, the process may produce objects with a rough surface finish, requiring additional post-processing steps. The size of the objects that can be printed is also limited by the size of the plasma beam. Finally, the process may not be suitable for printing certain types of materials, such as polymers, which may not be able to withstand the high temperatures and electric fields involved.