Relationship between sphere radius and ellipse axes in cone of light

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Chandi
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi everybody,

Guys I'm a total stranger to physics. I need some help to find the relationship between the major/minor axes of an ellipse and the radius of a sphere in a cone of light.

For example, imagine a light source is located at 'h' height from a plane and a sphere(with a radius of 'r') is located at y vertical distance from the source of light and horizontally deviated at x distance from the perpendicular axis of the plane and the source of light.
Obviously if the horizontal deviation is zero, then the projection is a circle. But I would like to know the relationship of the ellipse to the radius of the sphere when horizontal deviation is not zero.
 
Physics news on Phys.org