Calculating Equations of Ellipses Within a Cone

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an equatorial platform mount for a telescope and the use of orthogonal bearings. The use of ellipses is proposed as a stronger and easier to build alternative to using sections of circles cut from a cone. The equation for a cone with an axis at 30 degrees to the slant is mentioned, but the proper method for calculating the equations of the ellipses is still uncertain. The conversation also mentions that this is an unusual design, as the standard for equatorial platforms is to use non-orthogonal bearings.
cpman
Hello.
So, I'm designing an equatorial platform mount for my telescope at the moment. I'm also going to use it for another telescope that I'm in the process of building.

I know that for both of the bearings, I can use small sections of two circles cut from a cone with an angle between the axis and slant of my latitude. However, these would be at a 60 degree angle to the upper plate here, which I feel may weaken it. However, if I use ellipses, both bearings can be perpendicular to the upper plate, which should be stronger and easier to build. These ellipses would have to be perpendicular to the slant of the cone for this to be true.

I know that a cone where the axis is at 30 degrees to the slant should have an equation of [itex]3(x^2 + y^2) = (\sqrt3 - z)^2[/itex]. I know very little about 3D geometry, so I'm not entirely sure of this. This is what I got from Wolfram Alpha. Because I'm at 30 degrees north, presumably if I slice this cone with a plane with normal vector [itex]<0, -1, \sqrt3>[/itex], this will result in an ellipse perpendicular to the slant of the cone. (Again, I'm not entirely sure on this.)

I tried just setting the plane [itex]-y + \sqrt3 z + 1 = 0[/itex] equal to the cone to find the intersection, but I got an equation that isn't an ellipse. Is this the proper way to go about calculating the equations of these ellipses, or should I do something else?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello I do not have an answer for you, rather a question : why do you use non-orthogonal bearings ? An EQ platform is usually made with those, the tilt only being the angle between the whole assembly and the horizontal (it's really just an alt-az mechanism installed at an angle) so your setup is unusual.

I want to use orthogonal bearings to both simplify construction and to make the finished platform stronger. This is the same principle used in what are called vertical north section platforms. There are quite a few designs like this. I'm just not sure how exactly I should calculate the cuts for the ellipses.

Ah sorry I'm not familiar with those designs, can't help here.

1. What is an ellipse within a cone?

An ellipse within a cone is a type of mathematical equation that describes the shape of an ellipse when it is intersected by a cone. It is formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone, resulting in a curved shape that resembles an oval.

2. How do you calculate the equation of an ellipse within a cone?

To calculate the equation of an ellipse within a cone, you will need to know the coordinates of the center of the cone, the radius of the cone's base, and the slope of the cone's sides. Using these values, you can plug them into the formula for the equation of an ellipse within a cone, which is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

3. What are the properties of an ellipse within a cone?

An ellipse within a cone has a center located at the intersection of the cone's axis and the plane that intersects it. It also has a major axis and a minor axis, which are both perpendicular to each other and pass through the center. The length of the major axis is twice the length of the minor axis, and the eccentricity of the ellipse is the ratio of the distance between the center and one of the foci to the length of the major axis.

4. How is the equation of an ellipse within a cone used in real life?

The equation of an ellipse within a cone is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as astronomy, physics, and architecture. It can be used to describe the shape of planetary orbits, the trajectory of a satellite, or the design of a building's dome. It also has practical applications in designing curved mirrors and lenses for optical devices.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating equations of ellipses within a cone?

One limitation of calculating equations of ellipses within a cone is that it assumes the cone is a perfect shape, without any irregularities or imperfections. In reality, cones may have slight variations in their shape, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated equation. Additionally, the equation is only applicable to ellipses that are formed by intersecting a right circular cone. Other types of cones, such as an oblique cone, may result in different equations.