Exploring the World with a Different Speed of Light: A Hypothetical Scenario

• Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per
In summary: But the formation of the galaxies, stars, planets? Some of them move faster. They could not reach C. Disintegrated of the cluster? And what partiples? I really do not know. Can you help me?B) The speed of sound in a vacuum is higher than C - can not be spread. And ultrasound, infrasound, gamma radiation, ultraviolet radiation, and other electromagnetic radiation? Movement of supersonic aircraft or trips into space is not possible. People can not understand the time - dilation is evident, adding speed is not apparent, length contraction too. Even at quite slow speeds ages more slowly. What next?I'm very grateful for posts!And sorry for my bad English
Numeriprimi
I'm thinking about speed the speed of light. It is really interesting constant. What would the world (if it ever was), if this value was different? :-) In the microworld, macroworld, in the life of humans, animals and plants ...
Ok, I say the c = 1000 kilometer per hour = 278 meters per second. That's a big difference :-)
AND - all the other fundamental constants stayed unchanged. What now?

Divide it into two options - A) if it happens at the beginning of the world and B) if that happened NOW.
It is very complidated question for me. Can you help me how can I imagine this world?

A) Hmmmm... It is very complidated question for me. The universe may expand even faster than C. This is not a problem. But the formation of the galaxies, stars, planets? Some of them move faster. They could not reach C. Disintegrated of the cluster? And what partiples? I really do not know. Can you help me?

B) The speed of sound in a vacuum is higher than C - can not be spread. And ultrasound, infrasound, gamma radiation, ultraviolet radiation, and other electromagnetic radiation? Movement of supersonic aircraft or trips into space is not possible. People can not understand the time - dilation is evident, adding speed is not apparent, length contraction too. Even at quite slow speeds ages more slowly. What next?

I'm very grateful for posts!
And sorry for my bad English :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Numeriprimi said:
Divide it into two options - A) if it happens at the beginning of the world and B) if that happened NOW.
It is very complidated question for me. Can you help me how can I imagine this world?

If it happened now? Everything on Earth would die horribly as relativistic effects completely screw with chemical reactions and everyday physics. If it was always like this life, if it existed, would be VERY different.

Most of your questions are simply not answerable as the effects of a having c suddenly change by such an extreme amount are so wide reaching that literally EVERYTHING is different.

This scenario would be difficult to work to work out in full. The nearest thing I know of is a book by George Gamow which pictures a universe with different fundamental constants, available here

www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/tompkins.pdf

Numeriprimi said:
Ok, I say the c = 1000 kilometer per hour = 278 meters per second. That's a big difference :-)
AND - all the other fundamental constants stayed unchanged.
This is a logical self contradiction, it is not possible. Consider the fine structure constant ##\alpha = \frac{e^2}{2\epsilon_0 h c}##. If c changes then some other constant in this equation must also change.

It turns out that if the dimensionful constants change in such a way that the dimensionless constants remain constant then there will be no physically detectable difference. It is only if the combination of changes in dimensionful constants leads to a change in the dimensionless constants that there is a physically detectable difference. See:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2011753&postcount=55
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2015734&postcount=68

I believe in the multiverse. So say there's a universe out there where the laws of physics are the same as ours except that c = .278 km/s instead of roughly 300,000 km/s.

If you suddenly transported there, you would surely die horribly, and as your screams would cause the air to hither to an fro at the speed of sound (340 m/sec), which I don't think would be possible because of c being 278 m/sec, maybe a black hole would form right at your lips and crush you immediately.

Yeah... it's not a possible scenario. There are versions of the universe that fail because they are not possible. Other constants would indeed have to change to keep the universe "alive".

You're basically asking what would a dead person say if you asked him what he wanted for lunch. He wouldn't say anything, because he can't. He's dead, just like the universe you're proposing would be.

-Noyhcat

Last edited:
Let's try it and see what happens, shall we?

Code:
//#define SPEED_OF_LIGHT 300000000
#define SPEED_OF_LIGHT 278

I'll have to shut down the universe while I update the binaries, sorry for any inconvenience.

Numeriprimi said:
I'm thinking about speed the speed of light. It is really interesting constant. What would the world (if it ever was), if this value was different? :-) In the microworld, macroworld, in the life of humans, animals and plants ...
AND - all the other fundamental constants stayed unchanged. What now?

A) Hmmmm... It is very complidated question for me. The universe may expand even faster than C. This is not a problem. But the formation of the galaxies, stars, planets? Some of them move faster. They could not reach C. Disintegrated of the cluster? And what partiples? I really do not know. Can you help me?

B) The speed of sound in a vacuum is higher than C - can not be spread.
? The speed of sound in a vacuum is 0!

And ultrasound, infrasound, gamma radiation, ultraviolet radiation, and other electromagnetic radiation? Movement of supersonic aircraft or trips into space is not possible. People can not understand the time - dilation is evident, adding speed is not apparent, length contraction too. Even at quite slow speeds ages more slowly. What next?

I'm very grateful for posts!
And sorry for my bad English :-)

Oh, I know... Sorry. I thought air.

1. What is the concept of exploring the world with a different speed of light?

The concept of exploring the world with a different speed of light is based on the idea that the speed of light, which is currently considered to be a constant in our universe, may not always be the same. This hypothesis suggests that if the speed of light were to change, it would have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.

2. How would a change in the speed of light affect our perception of time and space?

If the speed of light were to change, it would have a ripple effect on many other physical constants and laws, including the laws of relativity. This could potentially lead to a shift in our perception of time and space, as well as impact the way we measure and understand distances in the universe.

3. Is there any evidence or research to support the idea of a changing speed of light?

Currently, there is no solid evidence or research to support the idea of a changing speed of light. However, some scientists have proposed theories and experiments to test this hypothesis. So far, these have not yielded conclusive results, but the possibility remains open for further investigation.

4. What implications would a different speed of light have on our current understanding of physics and the universe?

If the speed of light were to change, it would have significant implications on our current understanding of physics and the universe. It could potentially challenge some of our fundamental theories, such as the theory of relativity, and require a re-evaluation of many scientific principles.

5. Could a change in the speed of light have practical applications for space exploration or technology?

This is a topic of much debate and speculation among scientists. Some believe that a change in the speed of light could have practical applications for space travel and technology. For example, it could potentially allow for faster space travel, communication, and data transmission. However, more research and evidence are needed to support these claims.