Is There a Formula for Fitting a Sum of Exponentials to Data Points?

In summary, the conversation discusses fitting an equation with three undetermined constants to a set of data points. It is noted that there is no specific formula for determining the values of A, B, and C, but it is possible to solve for them using three equations. It is also mentioned that the results may vary depending on which data points are chosen and that there is no way to find the absolute minimum of the least squares sum. The conversation ends with a question about determining errors for the chosen best fit values.
Gonzolo
Hi, I want fit the following equation to a set of data points :

[tex]y = A(exp(-Bx)-exp(-Cx)))[/tex]

I found how to determine A and B for one exp : y = Aexp(-Bx), but I'm not sure if there's a formula for A, B and C in such a sum (or difference) of exponentials. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There isn't a formula but there is a general concept:
[tex]y = A(exp(-Bx)-exp(-Cx)))[/tex]
has 3 undetermined constants, A, B, and C so you will need to solve three equations for them. Take three of your (x,y) data points and plug the values for x and y into the formula. Solve those three equations for A, B, C.

If you have more than 3 data points, and the formula is not and exact fit, the result will depend upon which 3 you choose.

I have tried to fit using the least squares method (with Excel) and that is what I find, that the results depend on what initial values I choose. So if what your saying in your last sentence is generally true, I suppose there no way to find the absolute minimum of the least squares sum, right?

If by exact, you mean that each data point should be on the curve exactly, then no it cannot be exact, since it is true experimental data, and there is a little noise.

Is there a way to determine an error for A, B, and C on the best fit that I choose?

Related to Is There a Formula for Fitting a Sum of Exponentials to Data Points?

What is an exponential fit?

An exponential fit is a type of mathematical model that is used to describe data that increases or decreases at an exponential rate. It is often used to predict future values based on past trends.

How is an exponential fit calculated?

An exponential fit is typically calculated using a regression analysis, which involves finding the best-fit curve that minimizes the differences between the actual data points and the predicted values. This can be done using software or by hand using mathematical techniques.

What are the advantages of using an exponential fit?

One of the main advantages of using an exponential fit is that it can accurately represent data that increases or decreases at a rapid rate. It can also provide insights into the underlying trends of the data and make predictions for future values.

What are the limitations of an exponential fit?

One limitation of an exponential fit is that it may not accurately represent data that does not follow an exponential pattern. It also assumes that the rate of change remains constant over time, which may not always be the case.

How do you interpret the results of an exponential fit?

The results of an exponential fit can be interpreted by looking at the equation of the curve and the correlation coefficient, which measures how well the data fits the model. A higher correlation coefficient indicates a better fit. Additionally, the curve can be graphed to visualize the relationship between the data and the predicted values.