Exponential fit

• Thread starter Gonzolo
  • Start date
G

Gonzolo

Hi, I want fit the following equation to a set of data points :

[tex]y = A(exp(-Bx)-exp(-Cx)))[/tex]

I found how to determine A and B for one exp : y = Aexp(-Bx), but I'm not sure if there's a formula for A, B and C in such a sum (or difference) of exponentials. Thanks.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There isn't a formula but there is a general concept:
[tex]y = A(exp(-Bx)-exp(-Cx)))[/tex]
has 3 undetermined constants, A, B, and C so you will need to solve three equations for them. Take three of your (x,y) data points and plug the values for x and y into the formula. Solve those three equations for A, B, C.

If you have more than 3 data points, and the formula is not and exact fit, the result will depend upon which 3 you choose.

G

Gonzolo

I have tried to fit using the least squares method (with Excel) and that is what I find, that the results depend on what initial values I choose. So if what your saying in your last sentence is generally true, I suppose there no way to find the absolute minimum of the least squares sum, right?

If by exact, you mean that each data point should be on the curve exactly, then no it cannot be exact, since it is true experimental data, and there is a little noise.

Is there a way to determine an error for A, B, and C on the best fit that I choose?

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads