Finding the Constant k in an Exponential Function with Limited Information

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an exponential function and finding the constant k in the formula E(z)=E(0)^{-kz}. The objective is to eliminate E(3) from the equation to leave k as a numerical constant, but the value of E is unknown. The formula is known as Beer's law, and E(z) represents the light intensity at a given depth. E(0) is the input intensity at depth 0.
dragonblood
I have a problem with an exponential function. I am wondering if an exact solution is possible, or if I have to write the solution as a logarithm of an unknown.

A formula says that [tex]E(z)=E(0)^{-kz}[/tex], where E is light intensity and z is depth in water. My objective is to find the constant k. I also know that [tex]E(3)=0.01E(0)[/tex].

I have tried to solve for k in the following way:

[tex]E(3)=0.01E(0)[/tex]

[tex]E(3)=100E(3)^{-3k}[/tex]
[tex]\ln |0.01E(3)|=-3k \ln|E(3)|[/tex]

I realize that all values except for k is a constant, however, I do not know the value of E, and my question is: Are there any ways to eliminate E(3) from the equation, leaving k=numerical constant?

-dragonblood

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dragonblood said:
I have a problem with an exponential function. I am wondering if an exact solution is possible, or if I have to write the solution as a logarithm of an unknown.

A formula says that [tex]E(z)=E(0)^{-kz}[/tex], where E is light intensity and z is depth in water. My objective is to find the constant k. I also know that [tex]E(3)=0.01E(0)[/tex].

I have tried to solve for k in the following way:

[tex]E(3)=0.01E(0)[/tex]

[tex]E(3)=100E(3)^{-3k}[/tex]
[tex]\ln |0.01E(3)|=-3k \ln|E(3)|[/tex]

I realize that all values except for k is a constant, however, I do not know the value of E, and my question is: Are there any ways to eliminate E(3) from the equation, leaving k=numerical constant?

-dragonblood

The formula you have is Beer's law, and E(z) is the intensity of light at a given depth. E0 is the input intensity, or intensity at depth 0.

In your post, you have omitted the all important "e". The relation would normally be given as follows:

[tex]E(z) = E_0 e^{-kz}[/tex]​

You should be able to solve this for k, given E(3) = 0.01 E(0).

Cheers -- sylas

Thanks!

What is an exponential function problem?

An exponential function problem involves finding the value of a variable in an equation where the variable is raised to a power, such as y = 2^x.

What is the general form of an exponential function?

The general form of an exponential function is y = ab^x, where a is the initial value and b is the growth rate or decay factor.

How do you solve an exponential function problem?

To solve an exponential function problem, you can use logarithms or the laws of exponents. You can also create a table of values and plot the points on a graph to find the solution.

What is the difference between exponential growth and decay?

Exponential growth occurs when the base, b, is greater than 1, leading to an increase in the value of the function as x increases. Exponential decay occurs when the base, b, is between 0 and 1, causing the function to decrease as x increases.

Why are exponential functions important?

Exponential functions are important in many scientific fields, such as biology, finance, and physics. They can model real-world situations involving growth or decay, and are useful for making predictions and analyzing data.