1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential function problem

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    I have a problem with an exponential function. I am wondering if an exact solution is possible, or if I have to write the solution as a logarithm of an unknown.

A formula says that [tex]E(z)=E(0)^{-kz}[/tex], where E is light intensity and z is depth in water. My objective is to find the constant k. I also know that [tex]E(3)=0.01E(0)[/tex].

I have tried to solve for k in the following way:

[tex]E(3)=0.01E(0)[/tex]

[tex]E(3)=100E(3)^{-3k}[/tex]
    [tex]\ln |0.01E(3)|=-3k \ln|E(3)|[/tex]

I realize that all values except for k is a constant, however, I do not know the value of E, and my question is: Are there any ways to eliminate E(3) from the equation, leaving k=numerical constant?

-dragonblood

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

The formula you have is Beer's law, and E(z) is the intensity of light at a given depth. E0 is the input intensity, or intensity at depth 0.

In your post, you have omitted the all important "e". The relation would normally be given as follows:

[tex]E(z) = E_0 e^{-kz}[/tex]​

You should be able to solve this for k, given E(3) = 0.01 E(0).

Cheers -- sylas

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook