Solve Exponential Growth Problem: US Population Doubling Time

In summary, the yearly growth rate of the US is 1 percent and the formula for population growth is N = N_0 e^{kt}. To find the growth constant, use the condition that when t = 1, N = 1.01 N_0. To determine when the population doubles, set the equation up as 2 N_0 = N_0 e^{kt} and solve for t using the known value of k. Alternatively, you can use the formula t = log(2) / log(1.01) or t = ln(2) / ln(1.01) to calculate the time it will take for the population to double.
Banana
Can anyone help me with a problem for my physics lab? We are studying capacitance and I'm not even sure what this problem has to do with it. I think you're supposed to use a log or ln, but I never had calculus, so I don't think you're supposed to do it that way. Any help would be appreciated!

The yearly growth rate of the US is 1 percent. Assuming this growth rate to be constant, in how many years will the population double?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you need is this one:

[tex]N = N_0 e^{kt}[/tex]

Where [itex]N[/itex] is the population at time t, [itex]N_0[/itex] is the population a time 0, [itex]k[/itex] is the "growth constant," and [itex]t[/itex] is time.

The first step in getting a handle on these kinds of problems is finding k. Once you find k, you can easily find the population at any time t.

To find k, use the condition you already know: in one year, the population grows by one percent. That is, when t = 1, [itex]N = 1.01 N_0[/itex].

The equation is thus:

[tex]1.01 N_0 = N_0 e^{k \cdot 1}[/tex]

From which you should be able to readily calculate k.

To determine when the population doubles, use your known value of k and set the equation up in the following way:

[tex]2 N_0 = N_0 e^{kt}[/tex]

And solve for t.

- Warren

Here's how I would do that problem: Saying that the annual growth rate is 1% means that the population, P, increases by .01P each year or to 1.01P each year: the population is multiplies by 1.01 each year so the formula is P(t)= P0(1.01)t. The population will have doubled when P(t)= 2P0= P0(1.01)t or 2= (1.01)t.

Taking logs of both sides, log(2)=tlog(1.01) or t=log(2)/log(1.01).

In Chroot's method, k= ln(1.01) so this is, in fact, exactly the same answer. (I used log instead of ln because any base will do.)

1. What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth in which the rate of increase is proportional to the current value. This means that as the value increases, the rate of increase also increases, resulting in a faster and faster growth rate over time.

2. How is exponential growth calculated?

The formula for exponential growth is y = a * (1 + r)^t, where y is the final value, a is the initial value, r is the growth rate, and t is the time period. To solve for doubling time, we can use the formula t = log(2) / log(1 + r), where log is the base 10 logarithm.

3. What is the current population of the US?

As of 2021, the current population of the US is approximately 331.4 million. This number is constantly changing due to births, deaths, and immigration.

4. How often does the US population double?

The US population currently doubles approximately every 80 years. This is based on an average annual growth rate of 0.9% over the past century.

5. How can we use the doubling time formula to predict future population growth?

By plugging in different growth rates into the doubling time formula, we can estimate how long it will take for the US population to double in the future. This can help us plan for resources, infrastructure, and other needs based on projected population growth.