Exponential Problem: Solving (b-a-2)e^b + (b-a)e^a with Constant a and b

• Thread starter zeithief
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the person is asking if the expressions (b-a-2)e^b + (b-a)e^a and b^2 -2e^b + 6b - a^2 + 2e^a - 6a are the same. They are not equal, and the person suggests using distribution to solve the problem. They also mention that there may not be an algebraic solution and suggest using mathematical programs to approximate answers.
zeithief
i have an exponential problem that i could not solve.
[tex] (b-a-2)e^b + (b-a)e^a [/tex] where a and b are constant. Is it the same as [tex] b^2 -2e^b + 6b - a^2 + 2e^a - 6a [/tex] ?
Hope that someone kind could spend some time helping me and list down the steps for me. If they are not equal can you pls tell me too?

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They aren't equal. Not sure what you are doing,
[tex] (b-a-2)e^b + (b-a)e^a [/tex]

Just use regular old distribution,

[tex] (a+b+c+d)x = ax + bx + cx + dx [/tex]

You shouldn't end up with anything squared, and everything should have an exponential attached to it.

zeithief said:
[tex] (b-a-2)e^b + (b-a)e^a [/tex] where a and b are constant. Is it the same as [tex] b^2 -2e^b + 6b - a^2 + 2e^a - 6a [/tex] ?
Hope that someone kind could spend some time helping me and list down the steps for me. If they are not equal can you pls tell me too?

Thank you!
sure, easy. if b=a=0 then the left side left gives you -2 and the right side gives you 0.

This cannot be solved. There is no equation. That expression needs to equal something otherwise the only thing you can do is simplify it, but that seems to be done already.

Jameson

zeithief said:

Thank you!
If you mean you want to find an instance where:

[tex] (b-a-2)e^b + (b-a)e^a = b^2 -2e^b + 6b - a^2 + 2e^a - 6a[/tex]

I don't think there is an algebraic way of doing it. I would like to note also that a = 0 and b = 0 is not a solution. Various mathematical programs will easily be able to approximate answers.

1. What is an exponential problem?

An exponential problem is a mathematical problem that involves a quantity increasing or decreasing at an exponential rate. This means that the quantity is growing or shrinking at a constant percentage rate over a period of time.

2. How do you solve an exponential problem?

To solve an exponential problem, you need to use the properties of exponents and the rules of logarithms. This involves taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation, rearranging the equation, and then solving for the variable.

3. What are some real-life examples of exponential problems?

Real-life examples of exponential problems include population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and bacterial growth. These types of problems can be seen in biology, economics, and physics.

4. Why is it important to understand exponential problems?

Understanding exponential problems is important because they occur frequently in the real world and can help us make predictions and analyze data. They also provide a foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts.

5. What are some tips for solving exponential problems?

Some tips for solving exponential problems include identifying the base and exponent, using the properties of exponents, and understanding the relationship between exponential growth and decay. It is also helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.