Exponential question, x = [ 1 / 1 - e^-1.768] x e^-0.884

• Thread starter nophysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the equation provided is x = [ 1 / 1 - e^-1.768]e^-0.884 and the task is to solve for x. The conversation includes some confusion about a possible typo and the use of a multiply sign. The steps to solve the equation include storing the necessary expressions in a calculator.
nophysics
Im trying to setup this equation so I can figure it out, I have tried a couple of ways but I have lost the fundamental rules years ago - can anyone help me set it up for me ? Thanks so much.

Equation: x = [ 1 / 1 - e^-1.768]e^-0.884
; Solve for xAnswer: 0.498

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that a typo with the second x? What is that second x doing?

If there is no typo, then x=ax so that x(1-a)=0 so that x=0.

ZioX said:
Is that a typo with the second x? What is that second x doing?

If there is no typo, then x=ax so that x(1-a)=0 so that x=0.
latex! I'm kind of confused

however i got the same answer, ~.498

Sorry for the confusion

that x is a multiply sign, I have edited the original post.

I got it now. Thanks.

Last edited:
nophysics said:
that x is a multiply sign, I should have left it out.

Roco - how did you do it ? I am curious since I think I messed up at the start.. not sure how to ...
i did nothing different than plug in what you had typed out into my calculator

[tex]x=\frac{1}{[1-\exp^{-1.768}]}\times\exp^{-0.884}[/tex]

if you're having trouble typing it into your calculator, this is what i do (for almost everything! and it's so useful for chemistry)

in your calculator (if you don't know already), store the following

type in the expression then press STO[tex]\rhd[/tex] then ALPHA then A then ENTER

let [tex]A=(1-\exp^{-1.768})[/tex]

let [tex]B=\exp^{-0.884}[/tex]

so for your answer, you would type in

[tex]x=[\frac{B}{A}][/tex]

Last edited:
I like doing that when I want to store a computation that I do over a large period of time. For my storage memory A, I have the sum of the harmonic series up to some number. Right now Its up to the 432th term, I add to it whenever I feel bored. I like to see how slow it grows :) And also to see it slowly converging to its asymptotic expansion:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^k \frac{1}{n}[/tex]~[tex]\log_e k + \gamma[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the Euler-Mascheroni Constant.

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is a variable. It is characterized by a rapid increase or decrease in value, depending on the value of the exponent x.

2. How do you solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, isolate the variable on one side of the equation and take the logarithm of both sides. This will allow you to solve for the variable using basic algebraic techniques.

3. What is the significance of the number e in this equation?

The number e, also known as Euler's number, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is a fundamental number in many mathematical concepts, including exponential functions and logarithms.

4. Can this equation be simplified?

Yes, this equation can be simplified by using properties of exponents. For example, e^-1.768 can be rewritten as 1/e^1.768, and then multiplied by e^-0.884 to get 1/e^2.652. This can then be further simplified to approximately 0.185.

5. What is the practical application of this equation?

This equation can be used to model various real-life situations, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. It can also be used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics to describe natural phenomena and make predictions.