1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Express the equation in rectangular coordinates

1. Oct 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An equation is given in spherical coordinates. Express the equation in rectangular coordinates.

r2cos2∅=z

So first thing I did was used a half angle formula

r2 (cos2∅-sin2∅=z

Now, i'm stuck.

The answer is x2-y2=z

Guidance is appreciated (:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks fine.

(You might like to use a symbol such as theta, θ, for an angle rather than the symbol used for the null set, ∅ . I don't know why phi, ϕ, is not include in the symbol box.)

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the response and sorry for the minor errors, I'm still a bit confused on how I can manipulate what I have to make it to look more like x^2-y^2=z.

What i'm thinking is if I just distribute the r^2. I will get (r^2cosθ^2)-(r^2sinθ^2)=z

and if rcosθ=x and rsinθ =y

then these are just the same values but squared. Which would give me X^2-y^2=z.

Would that be a correct assumption?

5. Oct 5, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume that ∅ is meant to be [itex]\phi[/itex]?

There are 2 common conventions for spherical coordinates [itex](r, \theta, \phi)[/itex]. In one convetion,[itex]\theta[/itex] is the polar angle and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the azimuthal angle[/itex], and vice versa in the other convention. Which convention are you using?

What are [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex], and [itex]z[/itex] in terms of spherical coordinates? What is [itex]x^2-y^2[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook