Spherical cylindrical and rectangular coordinates

In summary, the surface S, given by the equation rho * sin(phi)= 2 * cos(theta) in spherical coordinates, can be represented as r= 2 cos(theta) in cylindrical coordinates and x^2 + y^2= 4 cos^2 (theta) in rectangular coordinates. The surface is a circular cone.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Suppose that in spherical coordinates the surface S is given by the equation rho * sin(phi)= 2 * cos(theta).
Find an equation for the surface in cylindrical and rectangular coordinates. Describe the surface- what kind of surface is S?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r= rho * sin (phi)
r^2= (rho * sin(phi)^2
r^2= 4 cos ^2 (theta)
x^2 + y^2= 4 cos^2 (theta)

And now I'm drawing a blank. Can someone please help me on how to continue?- I'm clueless! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Justabeginner said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that in spherical coordinates the surface S is given by the equation rho * sin(phi)= 2 * cos(theta).
Find an equation for the surface in cylindrical and rectangular coordinates. Describe the surface- what kind of surface is S?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r= rho * sin (phi)
r^2= (rho * sin(phi)^2
r^2= 4 cos ^2 (theta)
x^2 + y^2= 4 cos^2 (theta)

And now I'm drawing a blank. Can someone please help me on how to continue?- I'm clueless! Thank you!

You don't want to square that first equation ##r =\rho\sin\phi##. So after that first step you have ##r = 2\cos\theta##. What's the formula for ##\cos\theta##? Get it all in terms of ##x,y,z##.

What are spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular coordinates?

Spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular coordinates are three different systems used to locate points in three-dimensional space. Each system has its own set of axes and coordinates that describe the position of a point in relation to those axes.

How do spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular coordinates differ?

Spherical coordinates use a radius, polar angle, and azimuthal angle to locate a point. Cylindrical coordinates use a radius, angle, and height. Rectangular coordinates use three perpendicular axes (x, y, z) to locate a point.

What are the advantages of using spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are useful for describing points in a spherical or polar system, such as the Earth's surface or the surface of a sphere. Cylindrical coordinates are useful for describing points in cylindrical systems, such as a cylinder or a cone. Rectangular coordinates are useful for describing points in a Cartesian system, which is commonly used in mathematics and physics.

How can I convert between spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular coordinates?

To convert between spherical and rectangular coordinates, you can use trigonometric equations. To convert between cylindrical and rectangular coordinates, you can use simple algebraic equations. There are also online calculators and software programs available to assist with conversions.

What are some real-world applications of spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in navigation, astronomy, and physics to locate objects in the sky. Cylindrical coordinates are useful in engineering and architecture, particularly for describing curved surfaces. Rectangular coordinates are used in everyday life, such as in GPS navigation and video game graphics.