Expressing a limit as a definite integral

In summary: This makes sense because the sum is a riemann sum and the interval is [0,2], which is the midpoint of the sum.
mech-eng
Homework Statement
Express the limit ##lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac2n\ (1+\frac {2-1}{n})^\frac13## as a definite integral. <Mentor note: the part in parentheses should be ##1 + \frac{2i - 1} n##.>
Relevant Equations
As ##n\rightarrow\infty, c_1=\frac1n=\rightarrow\ \ 0##
Express the limit ##lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac2n\ (1+\frac {2i-1}{n})^\frac13##

This is worked example but I would like to ask about the points I don't understand in the book.

"We want to intepret the sum as a Riemann sum for ##f(x)=(1+x)^3## The factor ##\frac2n## suggests that the interval of the integration has a length 2 and is partitioned into n equal subintervals, each of length 2/n. Let ##c_i=(2i-1)/n~~for~~ i=1,2, 3 \ldots, n##. As ##n_{\rightarrow\infty}\ c_1=1/n \ \rightarrow 0\ \ and \ \ c_n (2n-1)/n \ \rightarrow\ 2##. Thus the interval is [0,2], and the points of the partition are ##x_i=2i/n## observe that ## x_{i-1}=(2i-2)/n<c_i <2i/n=x_i## for each i, so that the sum is indeed a riemann sum for f(x) over [0,2]. Since f(x) is continuous on that interval it is integrable there, and

## lim_{n\rightarrow} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac 2n(1+ {\frac {2i-1}n)}^\frac13=\int_0^2(1+x)^\frac13 dx##

Why it is said in the solution ##c_i=(2i-1)/n## but not ##1+c_i=(2i-1)/n##

Source: Calculus, A Complete Course by Robert A. Adams.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
Express the limit ##lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac2n\ (1+\frac {2-1}{n})^\frac13##
You omitted i in the fraction.
It should be ##lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac 2 n\ (1+\frac {2i-1}{n})^\frac 1 3##. Same in your problem statement.
mech-eng said:
This is worked example but I would like to ask about the points I don't understand in the book.

"We want to intepret the sum as a Riemann sum for ##f(x)=(1+x)^3## The factor ##\frac2n## suggests that the interval of the integration has a length 2 and is partitioned into n equal subintervals, each of length 2/n. Let ##c_i=(2i-1)/n~~for~~ i=1,2, 3 \ldots, n##. As ##n_{\rightarrow\infty}\ c_1=1/n \ \rightarrow 0\ \ and \ \ c_n (2n-1)/n \ \rightarrow\ 2##. Thus the interval is [0,2], and the points of the partition are ##x_i=2i/n## observe that ## x_{i-1}=(2i-2)/n<c_i <2i/n=x_i## for each i, so that the sum is indeed a riemann sum for f(x) over [0,2]. Since f(x) is continuous on that interval it is integrable there, and

## lim_{n\rightarrow} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac 2n(1+ {\frac {2i-1}n)}^\frac13=\int_0^2(1+x)^\frac13 dx##

##c_i## is a point in the i-th subinterval, with the interval being [0, 2] (as you know). So ##c_1 = \frac 1 n, c_2 = \frac 3 n, c_3 = \frac 5 n, \dots c_n = \frac {2n - 1} n = 2 - \frac 1 n##.
Does that make sense?
mech-eng said:

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Express the limit ##lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac2n\ (1+\frac {2-1}{n})^\frac13##

Thank you.

The point is ##x_i = c_i##, but the integrand (the function being integrated) is ##(1+x)^{1/3}.## Therefore, you need ##(1+c_i)^{1/3}.##

Mark44 said:
##c_i## is a point in the i-th subinterval, with the interval being [0, 2] (as you know). So ##c_1 = \frac 1 n, c_2 = \frac 3 n, c_3 = \frac 5 n, \dots c_n = \frac {2n - 1} n = 2 - \frac 1 n##.
Does that make sense?

Loosely yes but strictly speaking no. If the length of the each subinterval is 2/n and the the first point in the interval is 0, then should ##c_1## not be equal to 2/n since 0+2/n=2/n?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Loosely yes but strictly speaking no. If the length of the each subinterval is 2/n and the the first point in the interval is 0, then should ##c_1## not be equal to 2/n since 0+2/n=2/n?
##c_i## could be any point in the i-th subinterval, but it looks to me like the author picked ##c_i## to be the midpoint of the i-th subinterval.

Likes mech-eng
I corrected the issue. Thank you very much.

How do conclude from this equation ##lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac2n\ (1+\frac {2i-1}{n})^\frac13## that

Mark44 said:
cicic_i is a point in the i-th subinterval, with the interval being [0, 2] (as you know). So c1=1n,c2=3n,c3=5n,…cn=2n−1n=2−1nc1=1n,c2=3n,c3=5n,…cn=2n−1n=2−1nc_1 = \frac 1 n, c_2 = \frac 3 n, c_3 = \frac 5 n, \dots c_n = \frac {2n - 1} n = 2 - \frac 1 n.

the general term should be 2n-1/n? Is this about series?

Thank you.

From post #1:
mech-eng said:
"We want to intepret the sum as a Riemann sum for ##f(x)=(1+x)^3##
mech-eng said:
How do conclude from this equation ##lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac2n\ (1+\frac {2i-1}{n})^\frac13## that the general term should be 2n-1/n? Is this about series?
2n - 1/n isn't the general term -- this is ##c_n##, the midpoint of the n-th subinterval.

The integral is ##\int_0^2 (1 + x)^{1/3}~dx## -- in post #1 you had ##f(x) = (1 + x)^3##, but I'm pretty sure the exponent 3 should be 1/3.

In the Riemann sum, you have ##dx## or ##\Delta x = \frac 2 n##. The x-value in the subinterval is ##c_i = \frac{2i - 1}n##, and the integrand ##(1 + x)^{1/3}## becomes ##(1 + c_i)^{1/3} = (1 + \frac{2i - 1}n)^{1/3}##

Putting these pieces together, you have ##\int_0^2 dx~(1 + x)^{1/3} = lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac 2 n (1+\frac {2i-1}{n})^\frac 1 3##

What is the purpose of expressing a limit as a definite integral?

Expressing a limit as a definite integral allows us to find the area under a curve and approximate the value of a limit. This can be useful in solving various real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the total amount of a substance produced over time.

How do you express a limit as a definite integral?

To express a limit as a definite integral, we use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. We also need to make sure that the function is continuous and defined on the interval of integration.

What is the relationship between a limit and a definite integral?

A limit and a definite integral are closely related, as the definite integral can be seen as the sum of infinitely many tiny rectangles that approximate the area under a curve. As the width of these rectangles approaches zero, the sum of their areas approaches the value of the limit.

Can you express any limit as a definite integral?

Not all limits can be expressed as definite integrals. The function must be continuous and defined on the interval of integration for the definite integral to exist. Additionally, some limits may require more advanced techniques, such as using substitution or trigonometric identities, to be expressed as definite integrals.

What are some practical applications of expressing a limit as a definite integral?

Expressing a limit as a definite integral has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the average velocity of an object, or the total cost of production over time. It can also be used to solve optimization problems and find the maximum or minimum value of a function.