Expressing Wavefunction psi(x) Using Eigenstates |ai> for State |psi>

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of the wavefunction psi(x) corresponding to a state |psi> in terms of |psi>. There is confusion over whether psi(x) and psi(r) are interchangeable, and the concept of spectral decomposition of a linear selfadjoint operator is mentioned. The final suggestion is to find psi(x) in terms of the basis of eigenvectors |ai>.
jrevill
Given a state |psi> and an operator A with (non-degenerate) eigenstates |ai> corresponding to real eigenvalues ai, express the wavefunction psi(x) corresponding to the state |psi> in terms of |psi>

Now this was a question in last year's exam that my lecturer went through, but his answer on the whiteboard was:

psi(r) = <r|psi>

But the question asked for psi(x), not psi(r). Are the two then interchangeable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a spectral decomposition of a linear selfadjoint operator is ? If so, then write it down and then act with it on |psi>.

Daniel.

Okay, well from Wikipedia: "The spectral decomposition of an operator A which has an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors is obtained by grouping together all vectors corresponding to the same eigenvalue."

So you're referring to a spectral decomposition of the r operator? And the orthonormal basis of eigenvectors would be... x, y and z?

This is the spectral decomposition of A (self-adjoint)

[tex] A=\sum_{i} a_{i}|a_{i}\rangle \langle a_{i}| [/tex]

, where the sigma symbol means, as usually, the sum over the discrete spectrum and an integral over parameter space for the continuous spectrum.

Since you need [itex] \psi (x)= \langle x|\psi\rangle [/itex], and A is self-adjoint, therefore its (possibly generalized) eigenvectors span a basis in the (rigged) Hilbert space of the system, so then [itex] |a_{i}\rangle [/itex] form a complete set, all you need to do is find [itex] \psi (x) [/itex] in terms of [itex] a_{i}(x) [/itex].

Daniel.

1. What is a position coordinate?

A position coordinate is a numerical value that represents the location or position of an object in a given space. It is often used in mathematics and physics to describe the spatial location of an object in a specific reference frame.

2. How is a position coordinate measured?

A position coordinate is typically measured using a scale or coordinate system that is specific to the reference frame being used. For example, in a two-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, the position coordinate is measured along the x and y axes. In a three-dimensional coordinate system, it is measured along the x, y, and z axes.

3. What is the difference between a position coordinate and a displacement?

A position coordinate represents the exact location of an object in a given reference frame, while a displacement represents the change in position of an object from its initial location to its final location. In other words, a displacement is a vector quantity that describes the distance and direction of the movement of an object.

4. Can position coordinates be negative?

Yes, position coordinates can be negative. This occurs when the origin or reference point of the coordinate system is not at the location of the object being measured. In this case, the position coordinate represents the distance of the object from the origin in a specific direction.

5. How are position coordinates used in real-world applications?

Position coordinates are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as navigation systems, satellite tracking, and mapping. They are also essential in physics and engineering for calculating the motion and position of objects, as well as in computer graphics and animation for creating 3D models and simulations.