1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Expression of Electric Field with known charges

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have 2 charges:
    Q1 = 300 uC located at (1, -1, -3) m
    Q2 = ?? uC located at (3, -3, -2) m

Q1 feels a force from Q2 of F1=(8i - 8j + 4k) N

1. Find Q2
    2. Find the expression of the E-Field at (3, -3, -2) m (at Q2)

2. Relevant equations
    F=(k|Q1*Q2|) / r^2
    E=(k|q|) / r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first part I've used the magnitudes:
    Q1 = (1, -1, -3) m = [tex]\sqrt{1^2 + -1^2 + -3^2}[/tex]
    F1 = (8i - 8j + 4k = 4 N

I found the distance between Q1 and Q2 using pythagorean formula: 3 meters.
    Then I solved for Q2 using Coulomb's Law:
    Q2 = 13.3 uC

For the second part, I know that since they ask for the expression of the electric field at the location of Q2, Q2 will not contribute to the value. Beside that, I'm a bit lost.

Do I need to use the distance between Q1 and Q2, then solve for E=k|q| / r^2? What's |q| in this case?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    The E-field by both charges is not definite at the positions of the charges. I think if the question is given by your teacher, you should seek clarification from him whether he asks for the E-field by both or the E-field contributed by only Q1 (if the latter, ignore Q2 as you only count Q1 in the E-field by Q1). Otherwise, you should ignore the question, as it doesn't have an appropriate answer.

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3
    I'm assuming it's the latter; that I can ignore Q2 and only count Q1. I'm still not sure how to do it though. Is |q| in E=k|q| / r^2 simply the value of Q1?

Thanks!

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4
    Do you have to count something else besides Q1 when calculating something created by only Q1? :wink:

EDIT: By the way, the question asks for the E-field which is a vector, not just its magnitude. You may find this formula helpful [tex]\vec{E}=k\frac{q}{r^3}\vec{r}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook