Expressions used in change of variables

In summary, The conversation is about performing a change of variables from f(x,y) to a pre-defined g(u,v), and the question is how to find the expressions u(x,y) and v(x,y) that would work, including the Jacobian. The person asking the question has searched for information on this topic but has not found any helpful results. They mention the Box-Muller method as an example and wonder if there are other methods that could be more efficient.
eccefeles
Hi. I know the title is not very informative. Here's what I'm trying to do:
I have f(x,y). I want to perform a change of variables to obtain a pre-defined g(u,v). How can I work out the actual expressions u(x,y) and v(x,y) so that it works out (including the Jacobian as well)?

I have a vague feeling that there may not be a general approach but only techniques for specific forms of f and g. I have Googled and searched for "change of variables" on this forum. 9 pages later, I think no one has asked this before. Some directions (even Google keywords) would be much appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, you can't! There may not be any u(x,y), v(x,y) that converts a given f(x,y) into a given g(u,v)!

OK, I accept there is no general approach. However, what about some "special" forms of f(x, y) and g(u, v)?

I started pondering this question after I read about the Box-Muller method of generating random deviates with a Gaussian distribution from uniform deviates. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-Muller_transform" ) It made me wonder if there are systematic methods of working out alternative transforms that would achieve the same purpose and be superior in terms of computing efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What exactly are expressions used in change of variables?

In mathematics and science, expressions used in change of variables refer to the mathematical expressions that are used to describe a change in the variables used to represent a particular system or phenomenon. This change in variables is often done to simplify the problem or make it easier to solve.

2. Why are expressions used in change of variables important?

Expressions used in change of variables are important because they allow us to transform a problem into a different form that may be easier to solve. This can also help us gain a better understanding of the problem and its underlying principles.

3. How do you know when to use expressions used in change of variables?

The decision to use expressions used in change of variables often depends on the complexity and structure of the problem at hand. Generally, they are used when the original variables are difficult to work with or when transforming them can simplify the problem.

4. What are some common examples of expressions used in change of variables?

Some common examples of expressions used in change of variables include polar coordinates, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions. These are often used to transform problems involving circles, exponential growth, and waves, respectively.

5. Are there any limitations to using expressions used in change of variables?

While expressions used in change of variables can be extremely useful, they do have their limitations. In some cases, the transformed problem may be more complex than the original, or the transformation may not be possible at all. Additionally, the transformed problem may not fully capture all aspects of the original problem, so caution must be taken when using this technique.