Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressions used in change of variables

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    Hi. I know the title is not very informative. Here's what I'm trying to do:
    I have f(x,y). I want to perform a change of variables to obtain a pre-defined g(u,v). How can I work out the actual expressions u(x,y) and v(x,y) so that it works out (including the Jacobian as well)?

I have a vague feeling that there may not be a general approach but only techniques for specific forms of f and g. I have Googled and searched for "change of variables" on this forum. 9 pages later, I think no one has asked this before. Some directions (even Google keywords) would be much appreciated. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, you can't! There may not be any u(x,y), v(x,y) that converts a given f(x,y) into a given g(u,v)!

4. Jan 22, 2007 #3
    OK, I accept there is no general approach. However, what about some "special" forms of f(x, y) and g(u, v)?

I started pondering this question after I read about the Box-Muller method of generating random deviates with a Gaussian distribution from uniform deviates. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-Muller_transform) It made me wonder if there are systematic methods of working out alternative transforms that would achieve the same purpose and be superior in terms of computing efficiency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?