1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an extension is simple

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let c be a primitive 3rd root of unity in the complex numbers and b be the real root of x^4-2=0. If a = c*b, show that Q(b,c) = Q(a)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So [Q(a):Q(c)]=3 and [Q(a):Q(b)]=4, and c and b contain no 'overlapping material', so [Q(a):Q)=12.

The usual way I prove things are a simple extension is by starting off by taking (a+b)^2 all the way up to (a+b)^n-1 where n i the deg(a)*deb(b) and then playing around with these expressions trying to come up with a way to get either a or b by itself as to show that a and b are elements of Q(a+b).

Since the degree here is 12, things could get quite messy if I use that method. Is there another way to look at this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I would not use a statement like "no overlapping material". This actually shouts for an explanation and contains every flaw, if there is one. Furthermore, I think ##[ \mathbb{Q}(a) \, : \, \mathbb{Q}(c) ] = 4## and ##[ \mathbb{Q}(a) \, : \, \mathbb{Q}(b) ] = 3##.

Since ##\mathbb{Q}(a) = \mathbb{Q}(b \cdot c) \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(b,c)## it only has to be shown, that ##\, b\, , \,c \in \mathbb{Q}(a)##.
    A little basic algebra on the powers of ##a=b \cdot c## should do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted