1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extending ordinals

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    Is there well studied constructions of some kind of extensions of the set of ordinal numbers, where each non zero number x also has the inverse x^(-1) so that x^(-1) x=1?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Firstly, there are 'too many' ordinals to fit in a set, so you'd have to talk about the class of ordinals.

Now, the class of ordinals doesn't have any arithmetic operations on it -- which did you mean:
    (1) You want to know if the multiplicative monoid of ordinals can be extended to a group.
    (2) You want to see if there is any binary product on the class of ordinals (or an extension of them) that turns them into a group. (I assume you want associativity)

If you mean the former, then clearly no extension exists; the multiplicative monoid of ordinals is not right-cancellable.

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    I've taken one course on the axiomatic set theory successfully, but I was lost during the entire course, and don't remember this stuff anymore even as badly as I did.

I don't know what I want. I succeeded in avoiding calling this extension a "field extension", because I know that the addition and multiplication on ordinals don't work like in fields, but I was still thinking about some other kind of extension that would be similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?