1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

External driving force on blackbox system: frequency response

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    External driving force on "blackbox" system: frequency response

Easy question:

I have a blackbox system (it's actually the Earth, but we can just treat it as a blackbox) driven externally by a periodic sinusoidal force (the Sun). If the driving force has a period of say 10 years, is there any way that the response of the Earth due to that force have anything but a period of 10 years once steady state has been reached? (which I think we can safely assume for the Earth-Sun system).

The answer seems intuitive enough, and obviously can be proved easily for pendulums and a lot of idealized systems, but I'm not 100% positive that it's always the case for ALL systems. Ideally there would be a math theorem or some physics proof perhaps, assuming a generic Lagrangian, that can prove that the response will also be sinusoidal with the same freq as the the driving frequency. Otherwise a counterexample would work just fine the other way.

Thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: External driving force on "blackbox" system: frequency response

Let humans shoot a laser in space every 3.8557 years. The emission of light of this wavelength clearly has a frequency different from 10 years.
    It is a blackbox - you cannot look at causal connections inside. And maybe the 10-year-cycle of earth inspired humans to build and use their lasers?

In terms of less intelligent setups: You can get different responses. The easiest things are higher harmonics from nonlinear reactions, but other frequencies can occur somehow, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook