Calculating Air Extinction Coefficient at 275 nm Wavelength

In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the extinction coefficient of air at 275 nm wavelength and is seeking help as they are struggling to find enough variables in any equation used. They are asked if they have an experimental result to match and are suggested to use the Lorentz oscillator model and look up absorption lines for estimates.
ykaravas
I'm trying to calculate the extinction coefficient of air at 275 nm wavelength. Can someone help me do this? I can't seem to find enough variables in any equation I've been using to figure it out. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you got so far? Do you have an experimental result that you are trying to match?

Are you familiar with the Lorentz oscillator model? That won't fill in all the unknowns, but it could help you to constrain it somehow. You might try to look up the closest few absorption lines to the wavelength you are looking at, and maybe you obtain some rough estimates based on the distance in wavelength to the resonances and the transition probability.

Last edited:

1. What is the air extinction coefficient at 275 nm wavelength?

The air extinction coefficient at 275 nm wavelength is a measure of the amount of light absorbed or scattered by air particles at that specific wavelength. It is often used in atmospheric science and environmental monitoring to understand the impact of air pollutants on light transmission.

2. How is the air extinction coefficient at 275 nm wavelength calculated?

The air extinction coefficient at 275 nm wavelength can be calculated using the following formula: k = ln(I0/I)/dWhere k is the extinction coefficient, I0 is the initial intensity of light, I is the measured intensity of light, and d is the distance the light travels through the air. This calculation takes into account the absorption and scattering of light by air particles.

3. What factors can affect the air extinction coefficient at 275 nm wavelength?

The air extinction coefficient at 275 nm wavelength can be affected by various factors such as temperature, humidity, air pressure, and the concentration and size of air particles. These factors can alter the amount of light absorption and scattering, leading to changes in the extinction coefficient.

4. Why is 275 nm wavelength commonly used for calculating air extinction coefficient?

The 275 nm wavelength is commonly used for calculating air extinction coefficient because it is in the ultraviolet (UV) range, which is sensitive to the presence of air pollutants such as ozone and aerosols. This wavelength is also commonly used in UV-based instruments and remote sensing techniques for environmental monitoring.

5. What are some applications of calculating air extinction coefficient at 275 nm wavelength?

Calculating air extinction coefficient at 275 nm wavelength has several applications, including air quality monitoring, atmospheric science research, and UV-based remote sensing techniques. It can also be used to understand the impact of air pollutants on light transmission and to develop strategies for reducing air pollution and improving air quality.