Extracting Copper II Sulphate

• Thread starter whoareyou
  • Start date
I am trying to calculate the percent composition of copper in the mixture that we got (copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate and sodium chloride).

The posts above that one were deciding on a procedure to extract the copper from the mixture. so if theoretically, the percent composition of copper in copper carbonate is 51%, and i got 0.33g of copper carbonate, is it safe to assume that i got 0.51*0.33 = 0.1683 * 100% = 16.83% copper in the entire mixture?

Borek
Mentor
Percentage of copper in the entire mixture depends on the mass of the entire mixture. At first you used 1g in your calculations, now you just multiplied some numbers - and your final result is not in %, but in g% units (whatever it means).

Again, what is your data? You are trying to calculate copper percentage - but what information do you use in your calculations? You have not explained what is 0.33g - where did it came from? What was 1g - where did it came from?

OH, ok.

so 1g of the mixture (copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate and sodium chloride) was used
and was reacted with 0.67g of sodium carbonate to produce 0.33g of copper carbonate.

the 0.33g of CaCO3 is multiplied by 0.51 (theoretical percent composition of copper in copper carbonate) to get the amount of copper produced, then divided by the total mass of the mixture and multiplied by 100% to get the percent composition of copper in the mixture

Borek
Mentor
So that's OK.