Proving No Extreme Points in B(C_0(X)) for Locally Compact, Non-Compact X

In summary: Continuing in this manner, we can construct a sequence of extreme points z_0, z_1, z_2, \ldots such that z_i can be written as a convex combination of z_{i-1} and some other point in B(C_0(X)). But since the space X is locally compact, there exists a converging net x_i \rightarrow x such that f(x_i) \rightarrow 0. This implies that z_i \rightarrow x. Since x is an extreme point, this is a contradiction.Therefore, we have shown that B(C_0(X)) has no extreme points. In summary, the proof involves
Ivah

Homework Statement

Show that if X is a locally compact space but not compact,

then [itex] B(C_0 (X)) [/itex] has no extreme points,

in which [itex]B(X)=\{ x | \; ||x|| \leq 1 \}[/itex] and

[itex]C_0(X)[/itex] = all continuous function [itex]f: X \rightarrow \mathbb{F}[/itex] ( with [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex] the complex plain or the real line) such that for all [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], [itex]\{x \in X : \; |f(x)| \geq \epsilon \}[/itex] is compact.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

One desires to proof that every [itex] z \in B(C_0(X)) [/itex]

can be written as a convex combination of [itex] y_1 , y_2 \in B(C_0(X)) [/itex], i.e. [itex] y_1+y_2=z [/itex]. The tricky part is finding such [itex] y_1,y_2 [/itex].

The only thing I have proved so far is the existence of a converging net [itex]x_i \rightarrow x[/itex] such that [itex]f(x_i) \rightarrow 0[/itex], anybody got an idea how I can use this to prove the above.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am always happy to help with mathematical proofs. Here is my attempt at a solution to your problem:

First, let us assume that B(C_0(X)) has an extreme point, say x. This means that x cannot be written as a convex combination of two elements in B(C_0(X)). Since x is an extreme point, it must be an extreme point of the closed unit ball B(C_0(X)). This means that for any y \in B(C_0(X)) and any real number \lambda with 0 < \lambda < 1, the point \lambda x + (1-\lambda)y also belongs to B(C_0(X)).

Now, let us consider the set A = \{y \in B(C_0(X)) : y \neq x, \text{and} \; y \; \text{can be written as a convex combination of} \; x \; \text{and some other point in} \; B(C_0(X)) \}. Since x is an extreme point, we know that A is non-empty. Let y_0 \in A, then there exists some z_0 \in B(C_0(X)) such that y_0 = \lambda x + (1-\lambda)z_0 for some \lambda with 0 < \lambda < 1. From this, we can see that z_0 \neq x, since y_0 \neq x. But since x is an extreme point, this means that z_0 must also be an extreme point.

Now, let us consider the set B = \{z \in B(C_0(X)) : z \neq z_0, \text{and} \; z \; \text{can be written as a convex combination of} \; z_0 \; \text{and some other point in} \; B(C_0(X)) \}. Again, since z_0 is an extreme point, we know that B is non-empty. Let z_1 \in B, then there exists some w_0 \in B(C_0(X)) such that z_1 = \mu z_0 + (1-\mu)w_0 for some \mu with 0 < \mu < 1. But since z_0 is

1. What is the significance of proving no extreme points in B(C_0(X)) for locally compact, non-compact X?

Proving that there are no extreme points in B(C_0(X)) for a locally compact, non-compact X has important implications in the field of functional analysis. It means that the space B(C_0(X)) does not have a rich geometric structure, which can be useful in certain applications such as optimization problems.

2. How is the concept of extreme points related to compactness in this context?

In functional analysis, extreme points are closely related to compactness. In general, a compact set in a topological vector space is characterized by having extreme points. However, in the case of B(C_0(X)), this relationship breaks down and we can have locally compact, non-compact spaces without extreme points.

3. What is the definition of an extreme point in B(C_0(X))?

An extreme point in B(C_0(X)) is a point that cannot be expressed as a convex combination of two other points in the set. In other words, it is a point that is not "in between" other points in the set. In this context, we are looking at the set of bounded linear functionals on the space of continuous functions that vanish at infinity.

4. What techniques are typically used to prove the absence of extreme points in a space?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove the absence of extreme points in a space. One approach is to use the Krein-Milman theorem, which states that in a compact convex set, the extreme points are dense. Therefore, if we can show that the set of extreme points is empty, we can conclude that there are no extreme points in the set. Another approach is to use the Hahn-Banach theorem, which can be used to construct a separating hyperplane and show that there are no extreme points in the set.

5. Are there any other notable implications of proving no extreme points in B(C_0(X)) for locally compact, non-compact X?

Yes, there are other important consequences of this result. For example, it has implications in the study of C*-algebras and operator theory. Additionally, it can also be useful in the study of spaces of continuous functions and their dual spaces. This result also opens up new avenues for further research and exploration in the field of functional analysis.