1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F(f(x)) when f(x) = absolute value of x-1

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f is the function defined by f(x) = l x-1 l Sketch the graph of y = f(f(x))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's not so much sketching the graph that is the problem as much as it is figuring out how to set up the equations. How do I put an absolute value into an equation that already has one? I sketched a table so that I had x and y values of the original function, can that help me at all?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    f(f(x))=|f(x)-1|=... Perform the last step and then start plugging in some values.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3
    so can I put an absolute value inside another absolute value? The function would look something like this?
    I x-1I -1 I

Would it be valid to take the y values from the original function and plug them back into the original function?

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4
    Yes, It would look like that. What it means is take the absolute value of x-1, and then subtract 1 from that quantity and take the absolute value of what you get from that.

Just plug in integers for x and see what y ends up being to get the graph

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Emworthington. Welcome to PF !

f(f(x)) = | |x-1| -1 | .

My suggestion is to write this as a piecewise function.

If you simply plug-in some values, you're likely to miss some important details that should be in the graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook