Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: F(f(x)) when f(x) = absolute value of x-1

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f is the function defined by f(x) = l x-1 l Sketch the graph of y = f(f(x))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's not so much sketching the graph that is the problem as much as it is figuring out how to set up the equations. How do I put an absolute value into an equation that already has one? I sketched a table so that I had x and y values of the original function, can that help me at all?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    f(f(x))=|f(x)-1|=... Perform the last step and then start plugging in some values.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3
    so can I put an absolute value inside another absolute value? The function would look something like this?
    I x-1I -1 I

Would it be valid to take the y values from the original function and plug them back into the original function?

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4
    Yes, It would look like that. What it means is take the absolute value of x-1, and then subtract 1 from that quantity and take the absolute value of what you get from that.

Just plug in integers for x and see what y ends up being to get the graph

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Emworthington. Welcome to PF !

f(f(x)) = | |x-1| -1 | .

My suggestion is to write this as a piecewise function.

If you simply plug-in some values, you're likely to miss some important details that should be in the graph.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook