F is integrable but f^2 is not integrable

• Thread starter stevekho
  • Start date
In summary, the integrability of f and f^2 is determined by the properties of the Riemann integral, which only exists for bounded functions with a finite number of discontinuities. If f is integrable, it satisfies these properties, but f^2 may not, making it not integrable. An example of a function that is integrable but its square is not is f(x) = 1/sqrt(x) on [0,1]. The area under the curves of f and f^2 can be found using the Riemann integral if both are integrable, but a different approach is needed if f^2 is not integrable. Both f and f^2 can be integrable if f is a
stevekho
Give an example of a function f : R -> R, such that f is integrable but f^2 is not
integrable. Prove your result.

Seriously I don't know where to start, please help me guys

Physics news on Phys.org
The two basic ways that a function can fail to be integrable is either it's too big as x goes to infinity, or there's a singularity around which f can't be integrated.

Which of these is going to be the case for f2 here? (this isn't rigorous but will give you an intuitive idea of what kind of functions to look at)

Well in that case, we are in R so f^2 will be positive so could be too big as x goes to inf. :/

Really, I think either option Office_Shredder gave will work in this case, but the singularity option might be a tad easier to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
stevekho said:
Well in that case, we are in R so f^2 will be positive so could be too big as x goes to inf. :/
What are the conditions regarding the behavior of some function as x goes to plus or minus infinity?

Hint: Suppose a is a real number. Then a2>|a| if |a|>1 but a2<|a| if |a|<1.

"Suppose a is a real number. Then a2>|a| if |a|>1 but a2<|a| if |a|<1."

sin(1/x)/x is integrable in R I saw
(sin(1/x)/x)^2 is not integrable in R

Could someone confirm me?

You picked one ugly f(x), but yep, it works. This is your homework, so you are the one who needs to show that my "yep, it works" is correct.

Do you need a hint?

(If you have a nicer f(x) could I also have a hint?)

Also I know how to prove it but could you give me a better f(x)

It's easy to show that (sin(1/x)/x)^2 is not integrable over R because its antiderivative has a simple representation that blows up at a certain point. Hint:

[tex](\sin a)^2 = \frac{1-\cos 2a}2[/tex]It is showing that sin(1/x)/x is integrable over R that is a bit tougher because this function is not integrable in the elementary functions. It's integral is closely related to a well-known special function. Hint:

[tex]\text{Si}(x) \equiv \int_0^x \frac{\sin t}t\,dt[/tex]

Si(x), the sine integral, is not quite what you want, but it is very close.

D H said:
It's easy to show that (sin(1/x)/x)^2 is not integrable over R because its antiderivative has a simple representation that blows up at a certain point. Hint:

[tex](\sin a)^2 = \frac{1-\cos 2a}2[/tex]

It is showing that sin(1/x)/x is integrable over R that is a bit tougher because this function is not integrable in the elementary functions. It's integral is closely related to a well-known special function. Hint:

[tex]\text{Si}(x) \equiv \int_0^x \frac{\sin t}t\,dt[/tex]

Si(x), the sine integral, is not quite what you want, but it is very close.

Hi,
I have the same qn as my tutorial qn. So far I was able to follow part of the discussion. Could you give a better idea on a simpler f(x) than the one mentioned?

A function that is an appropriate power of x will do quite nicely.

stevekho said:
Give an example of a function f : R -> R, such that f is integrable but f^2 is not
integrable. Prove your result.

Seriously I don't know where to start, please help me guys

what is the range of integration?

Dickfore said:
what is the range of integration?

I believe the range doesn't matter, so long as f is integrable over the range while f^2 is not

pic_beginner said:
I believe the range doesn't matter, so long as f is integrable over the range while f^2 is not

Well, the particular example does. Some functions are integrable on [itex][0, \infty)[/itex], but are not on [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex]. Since you asked for a particular example, I would think it matters. Although, now I see that you have the provision [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], which would mean it is defined on the whole real axis.

what if we define the range to be [0,1]? still need a clearer hint on a simple f(x).

pic_beginner said:
what if we define the range to be [0,1]? still need a clearer hint on a simple f(x).

[tex]
f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}
[/tex]

is integrable on [itex][0.1][/itex], but [itex]f^{2}(x) = 1/x[/itex] is not.

1. Why is it possible for f to be integrable but f^2 not integrable?

The fact that f is integrable but f^2 is not integrable is a result of the properties of the Riemann integral. The Riemann integral only exists for functions that are bounded and have a finite number of discontinuities. If f is integrable, it means that it satisfies these properties, but when we square f, it may no longer be bounded or may have more discontinuities, making it not integrable.

2. Can you provide an example of a function that is integrable but its square is not integrable?

Yes, the classic example is the function f(x) = 1/sqrt(x) on the interval [0,1]. This function is integrable, but its square f^2(x) = 1/x is not integrable because it is unbounded near x = 0.

3. How does the integrability of f and f^2 affect the area under their respective curves?

The integrability of f and f^2 affects the area under their curves in the sense that if f is integrable, it means that the area under its curve can be found using the Riemann integral. However, if f^2 is not integrable, the area under its curve cannot be found using the Riemann integral and a different approach must be used.

4. Is it possible for f and f^2 to both be integrable?

Yes, it is possible for both f and f^2 to be integrable. This would occur when f is a constant function, as its square would also be a constant function and therefore satisfy the properties required for integrability.

5. How does the integrability of f and f^2 affect the convergence of their corresponding improper integrals?

The integrability of f and f^2 does not necessarily affect the convergence of their corresponding improper integrals. This is because the properties required for the Riemann integral do not necessarily apply to improper integrals. For example, f(x) = 1/x is not integrable on the interval [0,1], but its improper integral from 0 to 1 does converge.