Existence of Natural Number n for f(x+n)=f(x) like cos+2pi

• Thread starter Andrax
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the existence of a natural number n such that f(x+n)=f(x) and mentions using f(x+3)f(x-6)=1 to find the value of n. The conversation also includes attempts at a solution and potential equations to use.
Andrax

Homework Statement

f(x+2)=f(x-1)f(x+5)
prove that there exists n natural number in which f(x+n)=f(x) like cos+2pi

Homework Equations

anyway i was doing some kind of solution i was pretty onfident that I am going to get the solution i was trying to make for example f(x+6)=f(x+3)f(x+9) we know< that f(x)=f(x-3)f(x+3) so f(x+3)=f(x)/f(x+3) [ignoring that the functoin is from R->R] was hoping that f(x+9)/f(x+3)=f(x+k) then i'll find this k suppose that f(x+6)=f(k)f(x) then f(x) = f(x+6)/f(k) then ill try to find the k from the first equatoin this got me in troubles cause it iddn't work iwas surprised that i didn't work..

The Attempt at a Solution

it seems like the only way anyway final thing I've reached is simplifying
f(x+n)=f(x+n+3)f(x+n-3) n is a natural number

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As f(x)=f(x+3)f(x-3)=f(x+3)f(x)f(x-6), we have f(x+3)f(x-6)=1 (ignoring that f(x)=0). Then, f(x)f(x-9)=1. Similarly, we find that f(x)f(x+9)=1. As a result, f(x+9)=f(x-9), and so, f(x)=f(x+18). Thus, n=18.

jashua said:
As f(x)=f(x+3)f(x-3)=f(x+3)f(x)f(x-6), we havef( x+3)f(x-6)=1 (ignoring that f(x)=0). Then, f(x)f(x-9)=1. Similarly, we find that f(x)f(x+9)=1. As a result, f(x+9)=f(x-9), and so, f(x)=f(x+18). Thus, n=18.
thanks i already got this one f( x+3)f(x-6)=1 but i didn't think it would help so i totally ignored it

Last edited:

What is the meaning of "F(x+n)=f(x) like cos+2pi"?

The equation F(x+n)=f(x) represents a function where the value of the function at x+n is equal to the value of the function at x. This is similar to the cosine function with a period of 2pi, where the value of the function repeats every 2pi units.

What is the significance of n in the equation F(x+n)=f(x)?

The variable n represents the amount of horizontal shift in the function. This means that the function is shifted n units to the left or right from its original position.

Can you provide an example of a function that satisfies the equation F(x+n)=f(x) like cos+2pi?

One example is the function f(x) = sin(x+pi), where n=pi. This function has a period of 2pi, similar to cos+2pi, and is shifted pi units to the left from the original sine function.

Are there any other functions besides cos+2pi that satisfy the equation F(x+n)=f(x)?

Yes, there are many functions that satisfy this equation. Any function with a period of 2pi can be shifted horizontally to satisfy the equation. Examples include f(x) = tan(x+pi/2) and f(x) = sec(x-pi/4).

What are the practical applications of functions that satisfy F(x+n)=f(x) like cos+2pi?

Functions that satisfy this equation can be used to model repetitive phenomena, such as waves, cycles, and rotations. They can also be used in signal processing and image editing to shift and adjust patterns and shapes.