Solving for Time in Scalar Product Equation

• Thread starter kkershaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
In summary, the problem involves solving for t using the equation d = !(v + 0)t, where d = 0.984 and v = 1.9. The "!" symbol is causing confusion, but in a previous problem with different numbers, the solution involved dividing and ignoring the "!" and then multiplying by 2. However, this method does not work for this problem. The questioner is unsure if the equation should actually be d = |(v + 0)t|, which would express d as a scalar product of velocity and time.
kkershaw

Homework Statement

I am solving for t using this equation: d = !(v + 0)t;
My d=.984 and v=1.9
I don't know what to do with the "!"

Homework Equations

d = !(v + 0)t;

The Attempt at a Solution

In a problem with different numbers I was able to solve for t by dividing and ignoring the "!", then multiply by 2 for the answer.
.984/1.9= .518
.518 * 2 = 1.036 but this does not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kkershaw

not too sure what you're trying to do - can you explain the whole problem...?

kkershaw said:

Homework Statement

I am solving for t using this equation: d = !(v + 0)t;
My d=.984 and v=1.9
I don't know what to do with the "!"

Are you sure it's not

d = |(v + 0)t| ?

expressing d as a scalar product of velocity (speed) and time?

What is the factorial function and how is it used in equations?

The factorial function is a mathematical operation that calculates the product of all positive integers ≤ a given number. In equations, it is represented by an exclamation point (!) after a number. For example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120. The factorial function is often used in probability, combinations, and permutations.

How do you calculate a factorial in an equation?

To calculate a factorial in an equation, you simply write the number followed by an exclamation point (!). For example, 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24. You can also use a calculator or a factorial function in programming languages.

What is the difference between a combination and a permutation in terms of factorials?

A combination is a way to select a group from a larger set without regard to the order of the items. It is represented by nCr, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items to be selected. The formula for combinations is n! / (r! * (n-r)!). A permutation, on the other hand, is a way to select a group from a larger set with regard to the order of the items. It is represented by nPr, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items to be selected. The formula for permutations is n! / (n-r)!.

Can you provide an example of an equation that uses factorials?

One example of an equation that uses factorials is the binomial theorem, which is used to expand binomial expressions. The formula is (a + b)^n = ∑ (nCr) a^(n-r) b^r, where n is the power of the binomial, r is the term number, and nCr is the combination function using factorials.

How is the factorial function related to the gamma function?

The gamma function is an extension of the factorial function to include non-integer values. It is represented by Γ(n) and is defined as Γ(n) = (n-1)! for all positive integers. The gamma function has many applications in mathematics, including solving integrals and probability distributions.