1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorial Limits

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Factorial Limits

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim n^n
    x->00 n!
    2. Relevant equations
    Instructor said to use the Squeeze theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have not been able to come up with much. I have looked at breaking the top apart into (n)(n)(n)...(n) and the bottom into n(n-1)(n-2)...(2)(1). My instinct when plugging numbers in for examples says that it should diverge, but when I apply Induction to prove this hypothesis, I get a contradiction. I know I'm over thinking this one (or at least I hope I am). Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your instincts are right. Write it as (n/n)*(n/(n-1))*(n/(n-2)*...*(n/1). For i>=n/2. n/(n-i)>=2. For i<=n/2, n/(n-i)>=1. So the whole product must be greater than or equal to 2^(n/2), right? You may need to adjust a few details for n odd, and there actually may be a neater comparison, but that's what came mind first.

4. Feb 7, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the help. I looked at it again and talked to my professor. I was thinking that you couldn't use the squeeze theorem to prove that the limit was inifinity. Since it's not, I just compared it to n. Since n! >= n for all n, and n diverges to infinity, so does n^n/n!. Once again thanks for the quick reply.

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4
    Re: [SOLVED] Factorial Limits

I have the exact same problem, however it is the inverse:
    lim n!
    n->00 n^n

Fairly intuitively this limit will be zero, however I need to 'use the squeeze rule'
    The lower limit can easily be 1/n^n whose limit is zero. However I cannot think of an upper limit to 'squeeze' my limit between. It must be greater than n!/n^n and yet must also have a limit of zero. Please help

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write it as (n/n)*((n-1)/n)*((n-2)/n)*...(1/n). All of the terms in the product are less than or equal to 1 and positive. n/2 terms are less then or equal to 1/2. Does that suggest a squeeze strategy?

7. Jul 7, 2008 #6

This is exactly what I was thinking, but won't this only show that the limit is (considerably) less than 1/2? I don't believe this proves it is zero.

8. Jul 7, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It shows that its less than (1/2)^(n/2). That is 'considerably' less than 1/2. What happens as n goes to infinity?

9. Jul 8, 2008 #8

thanks, i overlooked that, that solves my problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?