Is infinity factorial equal to the square root of 2 pi?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between infinite products and the value of infinity factorial. The discussion refers to a regularized product formula that shows that the infinite product of lambda_n, which is equal to n in this case, is equal to the square root of 2 pi. The speaker is interested in finding a proof for this surprising result.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I was studying about infinite products that I got to the relation below in
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InfiniteProduct.html

[itex]
\infty != \sqrt{2 \pi}
[/itex]

It really surprised me so I tried to find a proof but couldn't.
I tried to take the limit of n! but it was infinity.Also the limit of stirling's approximation was infinity.
So what?Is it correct?if yes,where can I find a proof?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is not for the usual product, but for regularized products.

in general (I use a ^ to denote regularized products as is sometimes done)
$$\prod_{n=1}^{_\wedge ^\infty} \lambda_n=\exp (-\zeta_\lambda ^\prime (0)) $$
where
$$\zeta_\lambda (s)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \lambda_n^{-s}$$
then for you example lambda_n=n
$$\infty!=\prod_{n=1}^{_\wedge ^\infty} n =\exp (-\zeta ^\prime (0))=\sqrt{2 \pi}$$

1. What is the factorial of infinity?

The factorial of infinity is not defined. Factorial is an operation that is only applicable to finite numbers. It is equal to the product of all positive integers from 1 up to the given number. As infinity is not a finite number, it cannot be used in factorial calculations.

2. Can infinity be a result of a factorial calculation?

No, infinity cannot be a result of a factorial calculation. As mentioned before, factorial is only defined for finite numbers. Even if we try to approach infinity as a limit, the result will be undefined, not infinity.

3. Is there a way to express infinity as a factorial?

No, there is no way to express infinity as a factorial. As factorial is only applicable to finite numbers, it is not possible to use it to represent infinity. There are other mathematical tools, such as limits, that can be used to represent infinity.

4. What happens when we try to take the factorial of a negative infinity?

The factorial of negative infinity is not defined. Just as with positive infinity, factorial is not applicable to infinite numbers, whether they are positive or negative. The result will be undefined, not negative infinity.

5. Can the concept of factorial be extended to include infinity?

No, the concept of factorial cannot be extended to include infinity. The definition of factorial is limited to finite numbers and cannot be applied to infinite values. Other mathematical tools, such as limits, are used to handle infinity in calculations.