1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factoring denominator of an integral

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, this is a pretty simple integral, but I'm having trouble with the factoring.

[itex]\int \frac{1}{x^{2}+2}[/itex]

According to the book, the answer is:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2})}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I need to get it in the form of:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{x^{2}+1}[/itex]

I did this by factoring out a [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}(\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{2}}+\sqrt{2})}[/itex]

But when you convert the [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] to [itex](\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}})^{2}[/itex] the [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] on the outside of the factor doesn't cancel out the one being squared. I'm kind of lost here.

Squaring the bottom term produces a 2 which doesn't cancel with the [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] on the outside of the parenthesis, and changing the term to [itex]4\sqrt{2}[/itex] which would square and cancel isn't in the given answer.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget dx! You are consistently omitting it in your integrals. It is crucial in problems like this.

The simplest way to do this is to use a trig substitution. Draw a right triangle with an acute angle θ. Label the altitude as x and the base as 2. From this we see that tan(θ) = x/2, so 2sec2(θ)dθ = dx.

Replace all expressions with x and dx in your original integral, and you'll have an easier one to integrate.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I should mention that you can factor the denominator and use the method of partial fraction decomposition. x2 + 2 factors into (x + i√2)(x - i√2).

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you need [itex]x^2+ [/itex] rather than [itex]x^2+ 2[/itex] you surely don't want [itex]x^2+ \sqrt{2}[/itex]! Don't factor out [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], factor out [itex]2[/itex]:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{dx}{\frac{x^2}{2}+ 1}[/tex]
    Now let [itex]u= x/\sqrt{2}[/itex]. As Mark44 says,don't forget the dx! [itex]x= \sqrt{2}u[/itex] so [itex]dx= \sqrt{2}du[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook