Factoring Difficulties: Derivative of $(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^3$

In summary, the derivative of \(f(x)=(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^3\) can be found using the product rule as \(f'(x)=6(3x+1)(2x-3)^3+6(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^2\). The best practice is to factor out the greatest common factor, which in this case is \(6(3x+1)(2x+3)^2\). This can be applied to all factoring situations.
DeusAbscondus
I'm trying to find the derivative of:

$$f(x)=(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^3 \text{ by using the product method}$$

Here is my working out so far, using product rule:$u'v+uv'$
$$\frac{d}{dx} (3x+1)^2(2x-3)^3= 2(3x+1)\cdot 3 *(2x-3)^3+(3x+1)^2\cdot3(2x-3)^2\cdot2$$
Simplified: $$f'(x)=6(3x+1)(2x-3)^3+6(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^2$$

At this point, I have a question:
1. is it best practice to factor out $(2x-3)^3$ or $(2x-3)^2$?
Is there a general answer to this question, valid for all such factoring situations?

To continue with my calculations, I will factor out the lower exponential factor:

$$\Rightarrow 6(3x+1)(2x-3)^2[(2x-3)+(3x+1)]$$
$$\Rightarrow (18x+6)(2x-3)^2(5x-2)$$

Final question: is there any obvious problem with (or improvement to be made) in the way I have set this out? something I'm doing which could be avoided/changed so as to avoid careless errors creeping in?
I ask, because this took me an inordinate amount of time to get right.
(It is correct, is it not, by the way?)

thanks,
DeusAbs

Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
I'm trying to find the derivative of:

$$f(x)=(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^3 \text{ by using the product method}$$

Here is my working out so far, using product rule:$u'v+uv'$
$$\frac{d}{dx} (3x+1)^2(2x-3)^3= 2(3x+1)\cdot 3 *(2x-3)^3+(3x+1)^2\cdot3(2x-3)^2\cdot2$$
Simplified: $$f'(x)=6(3x+1)(2x-3)^3+6(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^2$$

At this point, I have a question:
1. is it best practice to factor out $(2x-3)^3$ or $(2x-3)^2$?
Is there a general answer to this question, valid for all such factoring situations?

You take out the greatest common factor of the terms, which is: \(6(3x+1)(2x+3)^2\) to give:

\[\begin{aligned}6(3x+1)(2x-3)^3+6(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^2&=6(3x+1)(2x-3)^2[(2x-3)+(3x+1)]\\ &=6(3x+1)(2x-3)^2(5x-2)\end{aligned}\]

CB

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
You take out the greatest common factor of the terms, which is: \(6(3x+1)(2x+3)^2\)
CB
This is something I learned (greatest common factor) on my own out of a textbook (ie: outside class situation and in a class where no reference has been made to GCF) and now have to relearn by trial and error because of:

1. faulty memory
2. lack of principle-guided (axiomatic) coaching at present

Thanks for helping to supply this deficiency Cap'n.

DeusAbs
(Back to the grind, pleasantly, after 3 weeks of no sums!)

Last edited:

Related to Factoring Difficulties: Derivative of $(3x+1)^2(2x-3)^3$

1. What is factoring and why is it important?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into simpler terms. It is important because it allows us to solve equations and simplify expressions, making them easier to work with and understand.

2. What are the steps to factor a polynomial expression?

The first step is to identify any common factors among the terms. Then, use techniques such as the distributive property or the grouping method to further factor the expression. Finally, check your factored expression by multiplying it out to ensure it is equivalent to the original expression.

3. What is the derivative of a polynomial expression?

The derivative of a polynomial expression is a new expression that represents the rate of change of the original expression. It is found by using the power rule, which states that the derivative of a term with a variable raised to a power is equal to the coefficient multiplied by the power, with the power decreased by 1.

4. How do you find the derivative of a product of two polynomial expressions?

To find the derivative of a product, use the product rule, which states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

5. Can you provide an example of factoring and finding the derivative of a polynomial expression?

Yes, for the expression (3x+1)^2(2x-3)^3, the factored form is 9x^5 - 27x^4 - 117x^3 + 243x^2 - 81x + 27. The derivative of this expression is 45x^4 - 216x^3 - 351x^2 + 486x - 81.