Solving Quadratic Equations to Help My Kid

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve a quadratic equation and seeking help. They eventually learn about the quadratic formula and how to use it to find the value for t in the given equation. They also discuss the concept of multiple solutions and how to graph the equation to visualize it. They express gratitude for the helpful resources available now compared to when they were in school.
AC5FFw
While a problem, this is more for me to learn to help my kid with her own homework. I used to be great at this sort of thing but for some reason I just can't get my head around this one.

-125 = 39.1t - 4.9t^2

I need to find the value for t. It should be approx 10.4. I would just like to see the steps to get there.

I know that I should re-write this as : 4.9t^2 - 39.1t - 125 = 0 But after this I am stuck...

Thx!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the quadratic formula? That is how the problem is solved.

Thanks
Matt

Don't think so. Guess I could google it.

Check it out.

Thanks
Matt

Very few quadratic equations can be solved by "factoring". All can be solved by "completing the square" or the "quadratic formula". That doesn't look like it will have rational roots and so cannot be "factored" in the usual way.

Just reading on the quadratic equation now.
I don't think I was ever taught this. So, when I look at an equation like the one above I try to see how to simplify it further. WoW what Fun!

Plugged this formula into the quadratic equation and got my 10.4 as one of the results.

With the +/- option, I take it I have to figure out both then plug them back into the equation. One works and the other does not. So I know that "t" has to equal 10.4

Sound about right?

AC5FFw said:
Plugged this formula into the quadratic equation and got my 10.4 as one of the results.

With the +/- option, I take it I have to figure out both then plug them back into the equation. One works and the other does not. So I know that "t" has to equal 10.4

Sound about right?
For your equation, both of the values you found are solutions. Since your quadratic equation comes from what appears to be a physics problem, a negative value for t might not be applicable, since that would represent a time before the object was released.

To illustrate the fact that both values you get are solutions, you can use a graph. A quadratic equation such as the one you gave can be graphed. For example, you can rewrite your equation by putting all the terms on one side of the equal sign:

4.9 x^2 - 39.1 x - 125 = 0

Then, instead of having '0' on the right side of the equation, you can put in a dependent variable, 'y'. Now, solutions to your original equation are points on a graph where y=0, or what are called 'roots' of the equation. Due to the shape of such a graph, it is apparent that you frequently have *two* answers that work, like so:

27wxbh1.png

Where the red graph of your quadratic cross the black x-axis (where y is equal to zero), you have the solutions to your problem.

Lumen...

Your graph/pic did not come up.. but that's more of a issue with my server here.. All sorts of restrictions. I will check this out when I get home this evening...

Thank you all! I'm definatly a lot smarter on this now than I was yesterday! LOL
Where were all these great helpful tools when I was in school! If I would have had the resources that are available now... I would have enjoyed my time in school a lot more, and probably would have gone much further in my education as well.. :)

Please.. don't say it... I know, it's "Never Too Late" :D

1. How can solving quadratic equations help my kid in their academic studies?

Solving quadratic equations is an important skill in mathematics that can help your child understand and apply algebraic concepts. It also builds problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are applicable in other subjects.

2. What are some real-life applications of solving quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine maximum profit in business, or predict the growth of a population.

3. How can I help my child improve their skills in solving quadratic equations?

Encourage your child to practice regularly and provide them with resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also work with them on solving equations and provide guidance and support when needed.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when solving quadratic equations?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, making errors in factoring, and using the wrong formula or sign in the quadratic formula. It is important for students to check their work and identify and correct any mistakes.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving quadratic equations?

One helpful tip is to always check for common factors that can be factored out before using the quadratic formula. It is also important to carefully follow the order of operations and use a consistent method for solving equations, such as factoring or the quadratic formula.