Factoring polymonial with complex roots

In summary, to factor s^2 + 6s + 25 into complex factors, you can use the quadratic formula or complete the square to find the roots of the equation. These roots can then be used to write the equation as (s +3 - i4)(s +3 - j4).
ACLerok
This may be a bit silly but i forget how to factor this into complex factors:

s^2 + 6s + 25

i know the answer is (s +3 - i4)(s +3 - j4)

but how do i get that?

Physics news on Phys.org
ACLerok said:

s^2 + 6s + 25

but how do i get that?
You could use the quadratic formula.

Yes, use the quadratic formula to find the roots of [itex]s^2 + 6s + 25 = 0[/itex] and then use the factor theorem: if f(a) = 0, then (x - a) is a factor of f(x). Your a here will be the complex number you get.

Edit: no doubt dexter or someone will tell me this is wrong :rolleyes:.

ACLerok said:

s^2 + 6s + 25

but how do i get that?

Set your expression equal to zero and the roots, i.e. find s = a and s = b such that

0 = s^2 +6s +25.

Then,

0 = s^2 +6s +25
= (s - a)(s - b).

You could use the quadratic formula, but I think completing the square offers more insight.

Write

0 = s^ + 6s + c^2 - c^2 +25.

Now find c such that

s^ + 6s +c^2 = (s + c)^2.

This means that 2c = 6 and c = 3. Therefore,

0 = s^2 + 6s + 9 - 9 +25
= (s+3)^2 +16

So,

(s + 3)^2 = -16.

Regards,
George

Related to Factoring polymonial with complex roots

What is the definition of factoring polynomial with complex roots?

Factoring polynomial with complex roots is the process of breaking down a polynomial expression into simpler factors that have complex numbers as solutions. This involves finding the roots or solutions of the polynomial, which may include complex numbers, and writing the polynomial as a product of its factors.

Why is it important to factor polynomials with complex roots?

Factoring polynomials with complex roots is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the polynomial function and its graph. It also allows us to solve equations involving complex numbers and make connections between different mathematical concepts and applications.

What are the steps involved in factoring a polynomial with complex roots?

The steps for factoring a polynomial with complex roots are:1. Identify the degree of the polynomial, which is the highest exponent in the expression.2. Use the rational root theorem to find possible rational roots.3. Use synthetic division or long division to find one of the rational roots.4. Use the quadratic formula to find the remaining complex roots.5. Write the polynomial as a product of its factors, including the complex roots.

What is the difference between factoring polynomials with real roots and complex roots?

The main difference is that factoring polynomials with complex roots involves finding both real and complex solutions, while factoring polynomials with real roots only involves finding real solutions. Another difference is that factoring polynomials with complex roots may involve using the quadratic formula, while factoring polynomials with real roots can often be done using simpler methods, such as grouping or factoring by grouping.

What are some real-life applications of factoring polynomials with complex roots?

Factoring polynomials with complex roots has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in electrical engineering, complex numbers and polynomial functions are used to model and analyze electronic circuits. In physics, complex numbers are used to describe and solve problems in wave phenomena, such as sound and light. In economics, complex numbers are used to model and analyze economic trends and fluctuations.