Mastering Factoring Polynomials: Tips, Tricks, and Examples to Help You Succeed!

In summary, I was extremely tired and slept through the Algebra lesson today. I need help with factoring polynomials.
CamTheLamb
Alright, I'll be honest. I was extremely tired and slept all through the lesson in Algebra today lol.
And now I need help with factoring polynomials.

Example problems that I need help on:
7h3+448
Perfect square factoring - y4-81
Grouping - 3n3-10n2-48n+160

You don't have to answer those problems (Though it would help =P), I just need a quick lesson or the formula for factoring these.
Thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
CamTheLamb said:
Alright, I'll be honest. I was extremely tired and slept all through the lesson in Algebra today lol.
And now I need help with factoring polynomials.

Example problems that I need help on:
7h3+448
The first thing I would do is try to factor out a 7: [itex]7(h^3- 64)[/itex] which is wonderful because it is now [itex]7(x^3- 4^3)[/itex].
You need to know that [itex]a^2- b^3= (a- b)(a^2+ ab+ b^2)[/itex]

Perfect square factoring - y4-81
Yes, those are perfect squares: [itex](y^2)^2- 9^2[/itex] and, of course, [itex]a^2- b^2= (a-b)(a+b)[/itex]. After you have used that you will still have a "difference of squares" in one factor and can use that again. There is no way to factor \(\displaystyle a^2+ b^2\) with real coefficients.

Grouping - 3n3-10n2-48n+160
Well, 10 isn't divisible by 3 but 48 is so I would try [itex]3n^3- 48n= 3n(n^2- 16)[/itex]. Aha! Now it's easy to see that [itex]-10n^2+ 160= -10(n^2- 16)[/itex]

[itex]3n^3- 10n- 48n+ 160= 3n(n^2- 16)- 10(n^2- 16)[/itex]
That isn't the answer- you need to finish it.

You don't have to answer those problems (Though it would help =P), I just need a quick lesson or the formula for factoring these.
Thanks =)

Thanks for the help, I knew it was something similar to this, just didn't know any formulas.

1. What is factoring polynomials?

Factoring polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial into simpler expressions called factors. This is done by finding common factors and using algebraic techniques to simplify the expression.

2. Why is factoring polynomials important?

Factoring polynomials is important because it allows us to solve equations, simplify expressions, and understand the behavior of polynomial functions. It is also a crucial skill in higher level math courses and is used in real-world applications such as economics and physics.

3. What are some common techniques for factoring polynomials?

Some common techniques for factoring polynomials include finding common factors, using the distributive property, and using algebraic techniques such as the difference of squares, perfect square trinomials, and grouping.

4. How can I become better at factoring polynomials?

Practice is key to becoming better at factoring polynomials. Familiarize yourself with the different techniques and practice solving a variety of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources to reinforce your skills.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for factoring polynomials?

Yes, some tips and tricks for factoring polynomials include always checking for common factors, looking for patterns in the polynomial, and using the FOIL method to expand and then simplify before factoring. It is also helpful to regularly review and practice factoring to improve your speed and accuracy.