Need Help with Factorising 18t^2-2?

• Thread starter roxas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved someone asking for help with factorizing an expression and finding a zero for it. Another person provided some tips and advice, but it was pointed out that the original person may not be putting in effort to solve the problem on their own.
roxas
i know i totally sux so can anyone help me? thx

factorise x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x + 6

Physics news on Phys.org
Find a zero for your expression.

i am too retarded:rofl: , can u show me a step by step please

arildno said:
Find a zero for your expression.
Yep and you should start by "guessing a number" that is either (-1,1,2,-2,3,-3,6,-6). Why these numbers ? Well 6 can be divided by these numbers. Let's say that number is 6. Then perform an Euclidian devision in which you divide the given expression by (x - 6). What you get is an expression of second degree in x times (x-6) equals the given expression. This should get you started

marlon

Last edited:
Don't bother to help OP, marlon.
In another thread, he has refused even to do a single thing on his own with the expression 18t^2-2.

He is just after having his homework done for him.

arildno said:
Don't bother to help OP, marlon.
In another thread, he has refused even to do a single thing on his own with the expression 18t^2-2.

He is just after having his homework done for him.
Opps did not know that. Thanks for the advice, besides enough info has been given.

regards
marlon

Frequently Asked Questions about Factorisation Question

1. What is factorisation and why is it important?

Factorisation is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors. It is important in mathematics because it helps us simplify complex expressions, solve equations, and find common factors between numbers.

2. How do I factorise a number?

To factorise a number, you need to find its prime factors. Start by dividing the number by its smallest prime factor, then continue dividing by prime factors until you are left with only prime numbers. The product of these prime factors is the factorisation of the original number.

3. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

Prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and itself, while composite numbers have more than two factors. Prime numbers are the building blocks of all other numbers, and any non-prime numbers can be written as a product of prime factors.

4. Can I factorise algebraic expressions?

Yes, algebraic expressions can also be factorised using the same principles as factoring numbers. Look for common factors and use the distributive property to simplify the expression into its prime factors.

5. Why do we use factorisation in real-life situations?

Factorisation is used in many real-life situations, such as simplifying fractions, finding the greatest common factor, and solving problems in physics and engineering. It is also used in cryptography, where large numbers are factorised to create secure encryption codes.