Factorize in Q[x] , R[x] and C[X]

• Thread starter kezman
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed factorizing polynomials in Q[x], R[x], and C[x]. One example we looked at was 4x^6 + 8x^5 - 3x^4 - 19x^3 - 26x^2 - 15x - 3. We found that 1 is not a root, but it is a root in the second factorization given. We also discussed finding irrational roots by hand, using a method of breaking up the polynomial into even and odd terms and substituting in \sqrt{r} to find any solutions. In this example, we found that x=\pm \sqrt{3} were roots of the original polynomial.
kezman
Factorize in Q[x] , R[x] and C[X]

[tex] 4x^6 + 8x^5 - 3x^4 - 19x^3 - 26x^2 - 15x - 3 [/tex]

I couldn't finish it but this is up to where I did:

[tex] 4(x+1/2)^2 (x^4+x^3-2x^2-3x-3) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your factorization cannot be correct.
In the original one, 1 is not a root, whereas 1 is a root in your second one.

Im sorry I can't see that.
In the second gives -6

Sorry, my mistake.

Well, my calculator says that the remaining real solutions of your fourth-degree factor are [tex] \pm \sqrt{3}[/tex] but I don't know how you could find those by hand.

Yes that's right thanks

0rthodontist said:
but I don't know how you could find those by hand.

That was a problem in my exam

Well--how do you find them by hand then, seeing how they are irrational?

It's easy to check if a polynomial has any rational roots. To see if it has irrational roots of the form [itex]\sqrt{r}[/itex] for r rational, you can break up the polynomial into even and odd terms and substitute in [itex]\sqrt{r}[/itex], which will leave something like [itex]e(r)+o(r) \sqrt{r} [/itex]. For r rational, this will only be zero if e(r)=o(r)=0. In this case,

[tex] x^4+x^3-2x^2-3x-3 = (x^4+2x^2-3) + (x^3-3x)=0[/tex]

plugging in x= [itex]\sqrt{r}[/itex]:

[tex](r^2+2r-3) + \sqrt{r} (r-3) [/tex]

We see that r=3 is a solution to both terms, and so [itex]x=\pm \sqrt{3}[/itex] is a root of the original polynomial. This process can be generalized to cube roots, etc, but I doubt if it's very useful unless you know in advance that you'll have a root of this form.

Last edited:

1. What is factorization in Q[x], R[x], and C[x]?

Factorization in Q[x], R[x], and C[x] refers to the process of breaking down a polynomial into simpler factors. In Q[x], the factors will be polynomials with rational coefficients, while in R[x] and C[x], the factors will have real and complex coefficients, respectively.

2. How is factorization different in Q[x], R[x], and C[x]?

The main difference in factorization between Q[x], R[x], and C[x] lies in the types of coefficients used. In Q[x], the coefficients are limited to rational numbers, while in R[x] and C[x], the coefficients can be any real or complex numbers. This can affect the difficulty and complexity of the factorization process.

3. What is the importance of factorization in Q[x], R[x], and C[x]?

Factorization is important in Q[x], R[x], and C[x] because it allows us to simplify complex polynomials and solve equations. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of polynomials, and is a fundamental concept in algebra and higher mathematics.

4. How do you factorize a polynomial in Q[x], R[x], and C[x]?

The process of factorization involves finding the roots or solutions of the polynomial, and then writing it as a product of its factors. In Q[x], this can be done using techniques such as the rational root theorem and synthetic division. In R[x] and C[x], the factorization process may involve finding complex roots and using algebraic methods.

5. Can all polynomials be factorized in Q[x], R[x], and C[x]?

Yes, all polynomials can be factorized in Q[x], R[x], and C[x]. In Q[x], every polynomial can be factored into linear and quadratic factors with rational coefficients. In R[x], every polynomial can be factored into linear and quadratic factors with real coefficients. In C[x], every polynomial can be factored into linear factors with complex coefficients.