What is the Manipulation of Algebraic Expressions?

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with an algebra problem involving simplifying an expression and another person giving advice on how to approach the problem. The second person suggests using substitution and factoring to make the problem simpler. They also provide a link to the full problem and give further guidance on how to solve it.
roam

Homework Statement

I need some help with this Algebra problem. In the following I don't know how they manipulated the RHS to get to the LHS:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7176/solns.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{1}{4}(k+1)^2 .k^2 + (k+1)^3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4}(k+1)^2 .k^2 + k^3 + 3k^2 +3k +1[/tex]

I don't know how to manipulate [tex]k^2 + k^3 + 3k^2 +3k +1[/tex] into [tex](k^2+4k+4)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you required to carry steps to change the right-side to be equal to the left-side? You should be allowed to carry steps on both sides so that you can show the right and left sides are equal to a third expression. The idea is, that if a=b, and if b=c, then a=c.

another opinion of mine personally is to resolve 'complex' question initially is to model them by substitution.
Like letting another alegrabic representation (eg) Let a = K+1 and then it will look simpler.

Hope it helps.

symbolipoint said:
Are you required to carry steps to change the right-side to be equal to the left-side? You should be allowed to carry steps on both sides so that you can show the right and left sides are equal to a third expression. The idea is, that if a=b, and if b=c, then a=c.

Well I'm not sure what they've done there. I mean how they simplified [tex][\frac{1}{2}k(k+1)]^2 + (k+1)^3[/tex] into [tex]\frac{1}{4} (k+1)^2 (k^2+4k+4)[/tex]

Anyway, here's the rest (it's from a proof by induction problem):

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6978/62815040.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex][\frac{1}{2}k(k+1)]^2 + (k+1)^3=(\frac{1}{2})^2k^2(k+1)^2+(k+1)(k+1)^2[/tex]

Now just factor (k+1)2 and you are done. :approve:

njama said:
[tex][\frac{1}{2}k(k+1)]^2 + (k+1)^3=(\frac{1}{2})^2k^2(k+1)^2+(k+1)(k+1)^2[/tex]

Now just factor (k+1)2 and you are done. :approve:

But that doesn't work! If I factor out the (k+1)2 I will have:

[tex]\frac{1}{4}(k+1)^2 (k^2+k+1)[/tex]

Which is not the same as:

[tex]\frac{1}{4} (k+1)^2 (k^2+4k+4)[/tex]

:uhh:

roam said:
But that doesn't work! If I factor out the (k+1)2 I will have:

[tex]\frac{1}{4}(k+1)^2 (k^2+k+1)[/tex]

Which is not the same as:

[tex]\frac{1}{4} (k+1)^2 (k^2+4k+4)[/tex]

:uhh:

You are wrong. :yuck:

Do the factorization again.

[tex]=(k+1)^2(\frac{1}{4}k^2+k+1)[/tex]

Now factor 1/4 and see what will you come up with.

Awww! Gee! I see what you mean now! Thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is factorizing?

Factorizing is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller components that can be multiplied together to form the original expression.

2. How is factorizing helpful in mathematics?

Factorizing is helpful in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex expressions, solve equations, and find common factors among different expressions.

3. What are the steps involved in factorizing?

The steps involved in factorizing include identifying common factors, using the distributive property, and grouping similar terms.

4. Can any expression be factorized?

Yes, any expression can be factorized as long as it contains numbers, variables, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

5. How is factorizing related to manipulation in mathematics?

Factorizing is a form of manipulation in mathematics, as it involves rearranging and simplifying expressions to make them easier to work with and solve. Other forms of manipulation include expanding, simplifying, and solving equations.