How can I factorize these polynomials?

• Thread starter Trail_Builder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the conversation discusses how to factorize the polynomials x^3 + y^3 and x^4 + x^3 - 3x^2 - 4x - 4. The conversation includes tips on using the factor and remainder theorem, the rational root theorem, and Des Cartes Rule of signs to find the roots and factorize the polynomials. The final answer for x^3 + y^3 is (x+y)(x-\frac{y+\sqrt-3y^2}{2})(x-\frac{y-\sqrt-3y^2}{2}), while for x^4 + x^3 - 3x^2 - 4x - 4 there are multiple possible
Trail_Builder

Homework Statement

factorise the following as far as possible

1) [tex]x^3 + y^3[/tex]
2) [tex]x^4 + x^3 - 3x^2 - 4x - 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Not quite sure really what to do, lol, only just been taught how to divide polynominals, and the factor and remainder theorem. Havn't been taught how to factorise this case yet. I'm not sure how I could work out the answer myself. I've tried a few ways but they don't lead anywhere :S.

Any help?

2) I was thinking of rearranging it into [tex]x^4 - 3x^2 - 4 + x^3 - 4x[/tex]. This way I could maybe solve the first half but substituting [tex]x^2 = y[/tex] in so get rid of the 4th degree, and then solve the bit on the right after? or would that just plain not work. Other than that I have no ideas :S.

Any help?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You first learned to factor polynomials in order to solve equations, didn't you? If x-a is a factor of P(x) then p(a)= 0 It works the other way too. That's the "factor and remainder theorem you mention. For example, it is obvious (I hope!) that x= -y satisfies [itex]x^3+ y^3= 0[/itex] because [itex](-y)^3+ y^3= -y^3+ y^3= 0[/itex]. That tells you that x-(-y)= x+y is a factor of [itex]x^3+ y^3[/itex]. Dividing [itex]x^3+ y^3[/itex] by x+ y should give you a remainder of 0 and a quotient which is a quadratic that you can factor (if necessary by using the quadratic formula to solve the equation).

As far as [itex]x^4+ x^3- 3x^2- 4x- 4[/itex] is concerned, unfortunately solving half an equation doesn't help- unless both parts happen to have the same roots. One thing you can try is the "rational root theorem": if a polynomial (set equal to 0) has a rational root: m/n, then n, the denominator must be a divisor of the leading coefficient and m, the numerator, must be a divisor of the constant term. Here, the leading coefficient is 1 and the constant term is -4. That means any rational root must be a factor of 4: the possibilitiees are 1, -1, 2, -2, 4, and -4. I would reccomend that you try each of those. If any of them make the polynomial equal to 0, then x minus that number is a factor. If none of them do, there are no rational roots and you aren't going to be able to factor in any reasonable way! (I've checked a couple of those- they work!)

thanks for the help!

for 1) I ended up with (using quadratic formula) [tex]x^3 + y^3 = (x+y)(x-\frac{y+\sqrt-3y^2}{2})(x-\frac{y-\sqrt-3y^2}{2})[/tex] seems a lil messy, is that right?

and i got 2) right :D thanks man

The original problem "factorize as far as possible" is a little ambiguous. Typically, factorization problems expect integer coefficients. What I had in mind was [itex](x+y)(x^2+ xy+ y^2)[/itex] but, of course, you can solve the quadratic and get down to completely linear terms as you did.

I think you could also solve number two by [tex](x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d)=x^4 - 3x^2 - 4 + x^3 - 4x[/tex] and Des Cartes Rule of signs. Look at the coefficients and you should be able to find the roots...

Last edited:

1. What is factorizing polynomials?

Factorizing polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial expression into simpler forms. This is done by finding common factors among the terms and using algebraic techniques to simplify the expression.

2. Why is factorizing polynomials important?

Factorizing polynomials allows us to solve equations and simplify expressions more easily. It also helps us identify the roots or solutions of a polynomial equation, which can have real-life applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

3. What are the methods used for factorizing polynomials?

The most commonly used methods for factorizing polynomials are the greatest common factor (GCF) method, the difference of squares method, and the grouping method. Other techniques such as the quadratic formula and long division can also be used for more complex polynomials.

4. Can all polynomials be factorized?

No, not all polynomials can be factorized. Some polynomials, such as prime polynomials, cannot be broken down into simpler forms. However, most polynomials encountered in mathematics can be factorized using the methods mentioned above.

5. How can I check if my polynomial is fully factorized?

To check if a polynomial is fully factorized, you can use the distributive property to multiply out the factors and see if it simplifies back to the original polynomial. Another way is to check if all the factors are prime and cannot be further broken down.