Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factors affecting heat exchange

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    Heat transfer is something I've been interested in since studying thermodynamics last semester, although during the course we never really covered anything much to do with what affected heat transfer. I can pretty easily understand that obviously having a higher surface area to exchange across, temperature differentials and the time to which it is exposed will all affect the rate of transfer - but what else is there [if anything]?

Does what the material consists of or the shape of the material [other than to maximise contact with the thermal body] affect it?

Thanks for any insight =)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can divide the variables into three areas: the material properties, the material geometry, and the driving force (the temperature difference). Sure, the material's thermal conductivity, density, specific heat capacity, and geometry, among others, could all play a part in the results.

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3
    is there anything you'd recommend for me to read to find out about all the known factors that affect heat transferance?

and thanks for your reply =)

5. Sep 23, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take a look at Incropera and DeWitt's Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer. It's a textbook that's clear and useful enough to also serve as a handbook.

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5
    Thanks Mapes, i'll look into it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook