Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Failures in the broadcast news

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1

turbo

Gold Member

I just watched a heart-warming story on the NBC evening news about a 15-year-old girl that made a ski trip to the North Pole with her dad. They wanted to highlight the loss of sea-ice in the arctic, and she wants to give every school in the UK and the US a documentary film of the trip. So far, so good. The idiocy? The geniuses at NBC spliced in footage of penguins on an ice-floe. What kind of bone-heads are feeding the US public their news?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

D'oh! You should write them and complain. Maybe at least they'll removed the spliced in footage for reruns of the story.

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

LOL, give them a call and tell them Dr Turbo.

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    Dadburned global warming done messed up the ice floe drift patterns right bad.

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Those of you who live in the Central, Mountain, and Pacific zones should tune in near the end of the NBC evening news for the howler.

7. Apr 27, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even the name should give them a clue since it comes from the greek for bear.

8. Apr 27, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I tried searching their web-site and it's impossible to find a direct email link, so the whole story will likely run all across the US time-zones (with penguins). Idiots!

9. Apr 27, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

They may be flying penguins.

10. Apr 27, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, they started getting too warm and headed north. :biggrin:

11. Apr 27, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I didn't graduate from college, Woolie, and only got hired as a process chemist for a new high-tech pulp mill because I had been a soils and materials inspector during the construction of the plant. During my interview with the manager of the tech department, his environmental engineer popped in and complained that the pulp mill was going to shut down and they were going to do an acid boil-out of the Kraft digester, and the waste treatment plant was unprepared for the pH shock. I asked if I could chime in and the manager said "sure", so I told the engineer that the pH shock would be greatly diluted over time, and that he should spend the day pumping sludge (full of good bugs) from the clarifiers to the sludge ponds, along with liquids from the aeration basins to the sludge ponds, then when the pH shock had hit the aeration basins and had stabilized, pump the sludge back into the aeration basins to get the organic processes back in gear. The tech manager asked how I knew that, and I explained that I had worked on that waste-treatment plant and knew of all the valving/pumping options available, and my chemical training had given me a decent overview on buffering and pH. When I got back home from the interview, my wife told me "You go for a physical tomorrow, and you start Monday." Dr. Turbo, indeed.

12. Apr 27, 2008 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's the problem? Everyone knows penguins can fly. Apparently some now migrate from pole to pole.

Here is the BBC video on penguin flight, released 26 days before the NBC story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxmpihCjqw

13. Apr 27, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

14. Apr 27, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Santa was in Costa Rica sipping boat-drinks with Jimmy Buffet.

The elves were busy making "Made in China" stickers to put on the lead-based toys, and were unavailable for interview.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  15. Apr 27, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16. Apr 27, 2008 #15

Astronuc

With the Easter Bunny? Or is that Peter Pan?

Those news folks make it awfully difficult to get feeback. Perhaps if one has an MSN account it's easier. They have a discussion blog on something they call Newsvine, or some such.

I have to wonder if they just sucker people into discussion forums so they can advertise at them (I'm using that verb transitively - :biggrin:).

17. Apr 27, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

That's OK, someone verbified pizza earlier today, right?

18. Apr 27, 2008 #17

Astronuc

That was me. :redface:

I'm reconstructing the English language. I'm now testing it.

19. Apr 27, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you verbify pizza?

20. Apr 27, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as you get biscuit right I couldn't care what else you do :tongue:

21. Apr 27, 2008 #20

Astronuc

I will pizza tonight.

Will you pizza with me?

Let's biscuit the whole thing.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?