Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faith healers and their websites

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    ok...

some faith healers/televangelists have websites where people can post prayer/healing requests and praise reports. where do these praise reports that say they has been healed really come from?

(This is not a discussion about religious dogma, but about scientifically falsifiable cases of faith healing.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well obviously by people who been cured by their faith.
    You don't think there might be something underhand going on do you - you sceptic?

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    edit: "faith healing" is not limited to being cured by faith, some evangelists believe that god is healing people.

are there any verifiable reports or better yet, videos taken by a 3rd party ?

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4

Same difference.

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would the so-called strong placebo effect [assuming it is real] be considered a form of faith healing?

7. Jun 29, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Wait. Did you just ask if there are any verifiable reports of people being healed by God?

:bugeye::biggrin:

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you know, it would be like the end of the The Stand. :biggrin:

I guess such a claim would require about as much...

9. Jun 30, 2009 #8
    I've heard that the televangelist Benny Hinn (I think he's currently under a federal investigation) has claimed to heal many people of deadly illnesses. If you check the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Hinn" [Broken], you'll find that these claims are highly questionable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Jun 30, 2009 #9
    also, are there any verifiable or otherwise notorious reports of congenital disabilities being healed?

11. Jun 30, 2009 #10
    I guess it inadvertently causes healing. There is quite a debate about the placebo effect and whether it really does contribute to healing.

Probably not, I can just imagine the rage that a CEO of a major pharmaceutical company would have at the mere mention of the words 'faith healing'. :rofl:

12. Jun 30, 2009 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps it treats faith illness?

13. Jun 30, 2009 #12

drizzle

Gold Member

this reminds me of some [pseudo science] necklaces that have the power to heal! as assumed by some people who like to sell those necklaces and uses scientific wording like [nano] to convince the lay people!!

14. Jun 30, 2009 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Is that what Benny Hinn does?? I had no idea. All I know if the title of the show.

Whenever I see the title flash by on my TV guide, I always immediately think "Benny Hill".

15. Jun 30, 2009 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a Dilbert(?) cartoon like that.
    In trials the placebo worked better than our product - what do we do?
    New marketing slogan = Nothing works better than New Super Drug(tm)

16. Jun 30, 2009 #15
    Haha. if faithhealing really worked for everyone, then all the pharmaceuticals should have gone bankrupt.

my slogan would be: Focus the power of your mind on these [placebo]. let the healing power power will amplify and reflect upon you! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook