1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling chimney internal torque

1. Aug 6, 2010 #1
    Suppose a (uniform) chimney began falling. Where would the chimney break? I approached the problem by considering the torque acting on a point along the chimney, at a distance x from the point of rotation. I got the internal torque + external torque = (mx^2)(3gcosA/2L), where A is the angle between the chimney and the ground, m is the mass of the point, and L is the length of the chimney. The external torque is just mgcosA; using this, I get that the internal torque is maximized at x = L/3. This, at least, was the given solution. But thinking some more, I began doubting my solution. Shouldn't I be trying to maximize the internal force rather than the internal torque? But doing that yields silly answers, so that seems wrong too. Help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #2
    Figuring out exactly how a chimney would break would be an extremely complicated problem! To solve it--as you clearly know--you have to make simplifying assumptions.
    For instance, you have to guess why it would break--i.e. from shear forces? compression? expansion? torque?

Conceptually, torque seems like a good bet--i.e. the chimney would snap, in which case your analysis is great.

4. Aug 6, 2010 #3
    I can't see why torque would make it snap though. So what if the torque is maximized there? Worse still, the second derivative is actually positive at x = L/3, so I think it's a minimum in actuality.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook