Falling chimney internal torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining where a uniform chimney would break if it were to fall. The speaker approaches the problem by considering the torque acting on a point along the chimney and using simplifying assumptions. However, there is some doubt about whether torque is the correct factor to consider and whether maximizing the internal force would yield more accurate results.
dEdt
Suppose a (uniform) chimney began falling. Where would the chimney break? I approached the problem by considering the torque acting on a point along the chimney, at a distance x from the point of rotation. I got the internal torque + external torque = (mx^2)(3gcosA/2L), where A is the angle between the chimney and the ground, m is the mass of the point, and L is the length of the chimney. The external torque is just mgcosA; using this, I get that the internal torque is maximized at x = L/3. This, at least, was the given solution. But thinking some more, I began doubting my solution. Shouldn't I be trying to maximize the internal force rather than the internal torque? But doing that yields silly answers, so that seems wrong too. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Figuring out exactly how a chimney would break would be an extremely complicated problem! To solve it--as you clearly know--you have to make simplifying assumptions.
For instance, you have to guess why it would break--i.e. from shear forces? compression? expansion? torque?

Conceptually, torque seems like a good bet--i.e. the chimney would snap, in which case your analysis is great.

I can't see why torque would make it snap though. So what if the torque is maximized there? Worse still, the second derivative is actually positive at x = L/3, so I think it's a minimum in actuality.

1. What is falling chimney internal torque?

Falling chimney internal torque refers to the rotational force or twisting motion that occurs within a chimney when it begins to collapse or fall. This force is caused by the weight and movement of the chimney materials.

2. How is falling chimney internal torque calculated?

Falling chimney internal torque can be calculated using the formula T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the force acting on the chimney, and d is the distance from the pivot point (usually the base of the chimney) to the point where the force is applied.

3. What factors can affect the internal torque of a falling chimney?

The internal torque of a falling chimney can be affected by several factors, such as the height and weight of the chimney, the materials it is made of, the angle at which it is falling, and any external forces acting on it (such as wind or nearby structures).

4. Can falling chimney internal torque cause damage to surrounding structures?

Yes, falling chimney internal torque can cause significant damage to surrounding structures. As the chimney falls, the torque can cause it to twist and break apart, sending debris flying in all directions and potentially damaging nearby buildings or objects.

5. How can falling chimney internal torque be mitigated or prevented?

To mitigate or prevent falling chimney internal torque, proper maintenance and structural support of the chimney is essential. This can include regular inspections, repairs as needed, and reinforcement of the chimney structure to prevent it from collapsing or twisting in the event of a fall.