1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falsifying signature in college. Consequence?

1. Dec 23, 2012 #1
    Hi all

There is a group member who falsifying the other team members' signature on the contribution table. The contribution table is used to divide up the group mark for each group members for a project. Without the other team members' consents, he falsify others' signature.

Just wondering what kind of consequence will he get? Suspension?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

At the very minimum he could fail the course. Yes, he could be suspended. That's a pretty flagrant violation of trust. You don't say why he falsified signatures. If it was because other people refused to sign stipulations he wanted, that's kind of stupid. The others will surely object and tell the teacher what he has done.

4. Dec 23, 2012 #3
    Depending on the laws in your country, suspension might be the least of his troubles. Where i am from, falsifying a signature is fraud, and can be punished with prison.

5. Dec 23, 2012 #4
    Ok. But that's from college. Could he be sued?

6. Dec 23, 2012 #5
    As i said depends on the legal system where you live. I can only say how it works in denmark. Here he would be prosecuted if someone files charges against him, which would be either the univeristy or the students whose signature he falsified.

7. Dec 23, 2012 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Most schools have an academic code of conduct, which is where the maximum consequences for something like this should be spelled out.

Realisitcally the consequences are likely to vary. If it's a case where the contribution table had to be in by a deadline and he couldn't contact some members of the group and he made the decision to falsify and submit in order to avoid losing marks that's likely to be viewed as a much different scenario by an academic disciplinary committee then deliberately assessing some members of the group poorly and falsifying their signatures. The first is still wrong and could result in some kind of academic probation, whereas the secord is more likely to end up getting the student kicked out.

I would be surprised if anyone would go so far as to pursue it as a civil matter, but again, that would depend on both the malicious intent and the level of compensation a plaintif could realistically expect to obtain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook