Fan AC Motor adaptive use - problem

In summary: A higher temperature insulation may be an option, but it's also possible that the wire might be too small. If the wire is too small, the motor may heat up excessively and eventually fail. If this is a recurrent problem, you might want to consider getting a motor with twice the horse power.
acmotor
We have adapted a 60W A/C Fan Motor, 1500 RPM to run two spindles one at 6000 RPM and the other at 500 RPM using pulley & belt. On continuous use the motor heats up excessively and a few fail.

Load is winding of threads from a Cone to a bobbin.

I need a few suggestion

i) Can rewinding the failed motors with a higher gauge copper wire solve the problem.

ii) How do you determine the load and create specification so that I can buy an appropriate motor capable of handling the load.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the motor is properly designed and operating on the correct voltage, changing the wire size will make the motor run hotter.

Rewind the motor using a higher temperature insulation may be an option.

Blowing air over the present motor may be a solution.

Get motor with twice the horse power?

AC electric motors on the 60 W range are in an awkward wattage range which is too low for induction motors (usually 1/6 HP-125W) and up. The really low (and cheap) HP motors are called shaded pole, because a resistive copper strap surrounds part of the pole. These get very hot due to the resistive copper strap (needed to produce a starting torque). There are some permanent capacitor start-run ac motors that use capacitors rather than resistance to shift the ac phase. What are details of your motor?

LOWER gauge wire has LESS resistance. Fractional HP split phase motors use wire resistance to produce a phase shift in the starting coil, so changing wire gauge will change starting torque.

Start your search in the Grainger catalog:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/motors/ecatalog/N-bii?op=search

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Rewinding small motors is probably a bad idea because you'll violate the UL/CSA/VDE underwriting. Along with that, you'll have the cost issues.

When you're uncertain of the load, it's good to try an induction motor that's well defined. Run it at it's rated voltage, and check the shaft RPM and current draw.

Be careful of shaft loading. If you've got pulleys, but your motor is designed a simple fan, then you're likely to wear out the bearing prematurely. Ball bearings hold up to these radial loads better than the more common sleeve bearing.

You might go through this site for motors:

http://www.emersonmotors.com/products/ecatalog.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Further specification on the motor mentioned Temperature Rise < 75 K [I am unable to figure the temperature rating]

Also it uses a 2muF 450V capacitor

Onload Spec
A = 0.3 A
P = 60 W
RPM = 1350

230 V, 50 Hz Capacitor Motor

I tried running the motor with no load for 20 minutes and noted temperature 52 C [126 F]. Then used my hand to stop the shaft for a second or two and the motor failed. Is the motor faulty?

Thanks

Attachments

• Image0262.jpg
    Image0262.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 426

1. What is a Fan AC Motor?

A Fan AC Motor is an electric motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to power a fan. It operates on alternating current (AC) and is commonly used in household and industrial fans.

2. What does "adaptive use" mean in relation to a Fan AC Motor?

Adaptive use of a Fan AC Motor refers to its ability to adjust its speed or power output based on external factors such as temperature, humidity, or user preferences. This feature allows for more efficient and customized operation of the motor.

3. What are some common problems with Fan AC Motors?

Some common problems with Fan AC Motors include overheating, motor failure, and worn out bearings. These issues can be caused by factors such as excessive use, lack of maintenance, or power surges.

4. How can I troubleshoot a problem with my Fan AC Motor?

If you are experiencing issues with your Fan AC Motor, try checking the power supply, cleaning the motor and fan blades, and inspecting the motor for any visible damage. You can also consult the manufacturer's manual or contact a professional for assistance.

5. Can a Fan AC Motor be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

In most cases, a Fan AC Motor can be repaired rather than replaced. This depends on the extent of the damage and whether replacement parts are available. It is recommended to consult a professional for an accurate assessment and repair of the motor.