Fantastic Contraption - Fun Online Game & Shareable Creations

  • Thread starter Thread starter Janus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
192 replies · 39K views
On U-turn, I've been trying to throw the red wheel to the right with enough speed that it would roll around the U on its own momentum to get to the top. I can't seem to get enough power to go much above the half-way point on the U, though. :frown:

Aha, finally got it!
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=809618
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Next challenge: How to build a perpetual motion machine that will just keep looping around and around the tube...
 
Last edited:
Here's a solution for Tube that stays in the goal (I think - I was about to post my first solution and the contraption was gone, so I had to tweak it): U-tube

Yes, it's stable this time.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
rootX said:
I was trying to use wheels to lift it up...
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=798185
couldn't get it to work. The wheels started fighting with each other.. and after some minutes, violet ones won.

Who has the simplest design for the above one?
If you want to lift the ball, you can do something like:
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=817213
You just need to be pushing hard enough against it. :smile:

I was trying to make a contraption that lifted the ball and then flipped over (counter-clockwise). Or maybe climbed the wall after lifting the ball, or something else neat. Never quite managed to get it to work, though.
 
Hurkyl said:
If you want to lift the ball, you can do something like:
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=817213
You just need to be pushing hard enough against it. :smile:

I was trying to make a contraption that lifted the ball and then flipped over (counter-clockwise). Or maybe climbed the wall after lifting the ball, or something else neat. Never quite managed to get it to work, though.

I wonder if it's possible to get rid of all the balls.
 
BobG said:
I wonder if it's possible to get rid of all the balls.
Hrm. It's not hard to fling two of them aside. The third one up top is probably doable. That fourth one down below the level looks very hard to knock aside, though... It would take some doing to hit it, even if that's the only one you're aiming for!
 
Andre said:
Brilliant! :smile: but is there a life next to fantastic contraptions?
:rolleyes:
What is this 'life' of which you speak? :nerd:
 
Hurkyl said:
Aha, victory! All four big balls are destroyed!

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=819001
Love the slingshots! I'm having so much fun watching everyone's wild creations.

Hurkyl, your mission now, should you choose to accept it, it to eliminate your contraptions as well, leaving no trace of anything that could implicate the department of state. And if you are killed in the process we will casually walk away whistling, as if nothing ever happened.
 
This is also a great place to spend time with your children or grandchildren. It is a great learning and sharing experience. I started my 7 year old grandson out just building contraptions without trying to reach a goal. He has now achieved level three on his own.

We did this one together. The kid obviously loves wheels.:smile:

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=794411
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So guys, anyone know any similar game to this, besides of Magic Pen and Crayon Physics?
 
Sakha said:
So guys, anyone know any similar game to this, besides of Magic Pen and Crayon Physics?

Some years ago, there was an American site that held bridge making competition. You had to make a bridge, use simulation to test it and submit it.

I am not sure if it is still there but it was nothing compared to these games (I was ranked about 600~800 :redface: .. ).
 
Sakha said:
So guys, anyone know any similar game to this, besides of Magic Pen and Crayon Physics?
Mentioned this earlier in the thread - The Incredible Machine
wiki said:
The general objective of the games is to create a series of Heath Robinson, or Rube Goldberg devices: arrange a given collection of objects in a needlessly complex fashion so as to perform some simple task (for example, "put the ball into a box" or "light a candle"). Available objects ranged from simple ropes and pulleys to electrical generators, bowling balls and even cats and mice. The levels usually have some fixed objects that cannot be moved by the player, and so the only way to solve the puzzle is carefully arrange the given objects around the fixed items. There is also a "freeform" option that allows the user to "play" with all the objects with no set goal or to also build their own puzzles with goals for other players to attempt to solve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine
 
I know a game in which you build infrastructure and make profits! - You can run it for hundreds of years. In it, you build transportation and factories/industries.

"Rise of nations" is one.
http://www.microsoft.com/games/RiseofNations/
You control all nation (including economy, military, and foreign disputes). This runs for thousands of years.
 
Last edited by a moderator: