1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Far-field dyadic Green's function

1. Jun 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm using the book "Principles of nano-optics" by Novotny and Hecht. I'm stuck a bit at understanding the derivation of the point spread function. It's just given as
    [tex]\mathbf{G} = \frac{\exp(i k_1 r)}{4 \pi r} \exp[-i k_1(x_0 x / r + y_0 y / r + z_0 z / r)]\\
    \qquad\times \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
    (1 - x^2/r^2) & - x y/r^2 & -x z/r^2 \\
    - x y/r^2 & (1 - y^2/r^2) & -y z/r^2 \\
    - x z/r^2 & -y z/r^2 & (1 - z^2/r^2)
    \end{array}
    \right][/tex]
    in equation (D.4) in the book (if you have it).

2. Relevant equations
    The far-field comes from the angular spectrum representation where the evanescent waves have been dropped. This is given as
    [tex]\vec{E}_\infty(s_x, s_y, s_z) = -2 \pi i k s_z \hat{\vec{E}}(k s_x, k s_y; z = 0) \quad ,[/tex]
    where E with the hat is the Fourier transform with respect to x and y of the field at z = 0. The vector s is just a unit vector indicating the direction.

I know the dyad at z=0 is given as
    [tex]\mathbf{G}(\vec{r}, \vec{r}_0) = (\mathbf{I} + \frac{1}{k^2} \nabla \nabla) G_0(\vec{r}, \vec{r}_0)\quad,[/tex]
    where G0 is the scalar Green's function, known as
    [tex]G_0(\vec{r}, \vec{r}_0) = \frac{\exp(\pm i k \vert \vec{r} - \vec{r_0} \vert}{4 \pi \vert \vec{r} - \vec{r}_0 \vert ) } \quad ,[/tex]
    which is the Green's function for the Helmholtz equation.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to do a direct Fourier transform of the dyad G, so I can substitute that into the far-field equation, but I've been unable to get that, because I can't get the Fourier transform of G0 with respect to x and y.
    I am able to get the Fourier transform of G0 with respect to x, y and z by using the Helmholtz equation and doing a Fourier transform on both sides. However, I need the Fourier transform to be only with respect to x and y but not z.
    Does anybody have an idea?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted