Far-field dyadic Green's function

G}_0(\vec{k}, \vec{r}_0) = \frac{\pi}{k^2 - k_x^2 - k_y^2} e^{-|k_z|} (1 + |k_z|) \quad .As you can see, this Fourier transform also depends on k_z, but we can use the fact that k_z = \sqrt{k^2 - k_x^2 - k_y^2} to rewrite it in terms of k_x and k_y only:\hat{G}_0
Jarno

Homework Statement

I'm using the book "Principles of nano-optics" by Novotny and Hecht. I'm stuck a bit at understanding the derivation of the point spread function. It's just given as
[tex]\mathbf{G} = \frac{\exp(i k_1 r)}{4 \pi r} \exp[-i k_1(x_0 x / r + y_0 y / r + z_0 z / r)]\\
\qquad\times \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
(1 - x^2/r^2) & - x y/r^2 & -x z/r^2 \\
- x y/r^2 & (1 - y^2/r^2) & -y z/r^2 \\
- x z/r^2 & -y z/r^2 & (1 - z^2/r^2)
\end{array}
\right][/tex]
in equation (D.4) in the book (if you have it).

Homework Equations

The far-field comes from the angular spectrum representation where the evanescent waves have been dropped. This is given as
[tex]\vec{E}_\infty(s_x, s_y, s_z) = -2 \pi i k s_z \hat{\vec{E}}(k s_x, k s_y; z = 0) \quad ,[/tex]
where E with the hat is the Fourier transform with respect to x and y of the field at z = 0. The vector s is just a unit vector indicating the direction.

I know the dyad at z=0 is given as
[tex]\mathbf{G}(\vec{r}, \vec{r}_0) = (\mathbf{I} + \frac{1}{k^2} \nabla \nabla) G_0(\vec{r}, \vec{r}_0)\quad,[/tex]
where G0 is the scalar Green's function, known as
[tex]G_0(\vec{r}, \vec{r}_0) = \frac{\exp(\pm i k \vert \vec{r} - \vec{r_0} \vert}{4 \pi \vert \vec{r} - \vec{r}_0 \vert ) } \quad ,[/tex]
which is the Green's function for the Helmholtz equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to do a direct Fourier transform of the dyad G, so I can substitute that into the far-field equation, but I've been unable to get that, because I can't get the Fourier transform of G0 with respect to x and y.
I am able to get the Fourier transform of G0 with respect to x, y and z by using the Helmholtz equation and doing a Fourier transform on both sides. However, I need the Fourier transform to be only with respect to x and y but not z.
Does anybody have an idea?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question on the derivation of the point spread function in "Principles of nano-optics" by Novotny and Hecht. I understand that you are having difficulty with the Fourier transform of G0 with respect to x and y. Let me try to guide you through the process.

First, let's start with the definition of the Fourier transform:
\hat{f}(\vec{k}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(\vec{r}) e^{-i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} d\vec{r}
where f is the function in real space, \hat{f} is its Fourier transform in k-space, and \vec{k} is the wavevector.

Now, we can use the Helmholtz equation to express G0 in terms of its Fourier transform:
(\nabla^2 + k^2) G_0(\vec{r}, \vec{r}_0) = -\delta(\vec{r} - \vec{r}_0)
Taking the Fourier transform of both sides, we get:
(-k^2 + \vec{k}^2) \hat{G}_0(\vec{k}, \vec{r}_0) = -1
Solving for \hat{G}_0, we get:
\hat{G}_0(\vec{k}, \vec{r}_0) = \frac{1}{k^2 - \vec{k}^2} \quad .

Now, to get the Fourier transform of G0 with respect to x and y, we need to integrate over z:
\hat{G}_0(\vec{k}, \vec{r}_0) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-i k_z z}}{k^2 - k_x^2 - k_y^2 - k_z^2} dz
Using the substitution u = k_z z, we can rewrite this as:
\hat{G}_0(\vec{k}, \vec{r}_0) = \frac{1}{k^2 - k_x^2 - k_y^2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-i u}}{1 - (k_z/k)^2} du
Using the identity \int_{-\infty}^

1. What is a far-field dyadic Green's function?

A far-field dyadic Green's function is a mathematical tool used in electromagnetic theory to describe the interaction between an electric dipole and an electromagnetic field in the far-field region. It is a tensor function that relates the electric and magnetic fields to the current distribution of the dipole.

2. How is a far-field dyadic Green's function different from a near-field dyadic Green's function?

A near-field dyadic Green's function describes the interaction between an electric dipole and an electromagnetic field in the near-field region, while a far-field dyadic Green's function describes the interaction in the far-field region. The far-field region is characterized by large distances from the dipole compared to its size, while the near-field region is characterized by small distances.

3. What are the main applications of far-field dyadic Green's functions?

Far-field dyadic Green's functions are used in many areas of electromagnetics, including antenna theory, electromagnetic scattering, and optics. They are also used in the design and analysis of various electromagnetic devices such as antennas, microwave circuits, and radar systems.

4. How is a far-field dyadic Green's function calculated?

The calculation of a far-field dyadic Green's function involves solving Maxwell's equations for an electric dipole source in the far-field region. This can be done analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the problem and the available resources. Various techniques such as the method of moments and the finite-difference time-domain method can be used for the numerical calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to using far-field dyadic Green's functions?

One limitation of using far-field dyadic Green's functions is that they are only valid in the far-field region, and their accuracy decreases as the distance from the source decreases. Additionally, they assume that the medium surrounding the dipole is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in practical applications.