Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fast oxygen absorber

1. Jun 8, 2005 #1
    I am working on a project of a medical equipment which is supposed to absorb oxygen at a rate similar to the human body. I am looking for a process or a substance that would absorb about 200-300 ml of oxygen per minute. I can't use fire or anything that explodes. I was thinking about iron powder, but I don't think the oxydation reaction would have the correct rate. Does anyone know if iron is OK? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tiago

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you looked into standar bulk getters like barium or titanium ? By fixing the mass of the getter and its temperature, you can tune the gettering rate.

4. Jun 9, 2005 #3
    Thanks a lot for the help. I really think bulk getters are what I need, though I'm not familiar with the term. I've googled "bulk getters", but I didn't find a lot of information that could help me. Do you know any websites or books with information about bulk getters or where to buy them?

5. Jun 10, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jun 10, 2005 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Pyrogallol solution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?