Faster than light electron spin

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical speed of an electron and the observed angular momentum. The classical electron radius is mentioned, and it is noted that the problem worsens as the size decreases. The speaker suggests using the reduced Compton wavelength for the radius to make the calculation "just for fun". They also question the difference in spin velocities between electrons and protons.
DiracPool
I understand that we are not to think of an electron literally spinning on its axis because the equatorial speed would far exceed the speed of light. However, just for fun, I've been trying to find out just what the speed would be to make the numbers come out to agree with the observed angluar momentum. I've seen 100x the speed of light and 10^32 radians/s. But at what polar radius is that? Anyone have more info on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The theoretical radius of the electron is 0. But people often use the classical electron radius http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electron_radius
Note that as you get smaller, the problem gets worse because the moment of inertia goes as R^2, and velocity at the edge of a rotating body goes as R.

Last edited:
Your question is "just for fun", so go ahead and do the calculation and do not worry about light speed. Use the reduced Compton wavelength for the radius. What do you get?

liometopum said:
Your question is "just for fun", so go ahead and do the calculation and do not worry about light speed. Use the reduced Compton wavelength for the radius. What do you get?

Just for fun I predict electron 'charge radius' is the same as that of proton, and since proton has smaller magnetic moment I bet it's spinning with less speed than electron.

My focus is on the Compton radius (Compton wavelength divided by 2 pi). The radii of electrons and protons will not be the same due to the difference in masses.

I suspect you will find that the spin velocities are identical.

Last edited:

1. What is faster than light electron spin?

Faster than light electron spin refers to the phenomenon where the spin of an electron appears to exceed the speed of light. This is a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist in reality.

2. Is faster than light electron spin possible?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that faster than light electron spin is possible. According to the laws of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. However, this is still a topic of research and debate among scientists.

3. How does faster than light electron spin relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Therefore, if faster than light electron spin were to exist, it would challenge this theory and potentially revolutionize our understanding of the laws of physics.

4. Can faster than light electron spin be used for faster communication?

As of now, there is no practical application for faster than light electron spin. It is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist. Even if it were possible, it is unclear how it could be harnessed for communication purposes.

5. How is faster than light electron spin being studied?

Scientists are studying faster than light electron spin through theoretical models and experiments in particle accelerators. However, due to the limitations of our current technology, it is difficult to directly observe or measure this phenomenon. It remains a topic of ongoing research and speculation.