1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fast does an electron spin

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    how fast does an electron spin? if an electron has no volume and is a point, then surly speed would have no meaning. So could it spin at what ever speed it likes? would it just be pure spin (think of a square, it has 4 corners and 4 sides, if the length of the sides were zero, then it would be just 4 corners, would it still be a square?) I was wondering could it spin at over the speed of light? or because of a lack of volume would that also be meaningless?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    the spin of electron is not actual spin.If you calculate the velocity of rotation of electron using the radius experimentally found you will get the speed is greater than speed of light and that is not possible.

here spin is quantity or number from which we can get the magnetic moment of the electron in analogy of the magnetic moment produced by a current loop

actually I am also not satisfied by this answer which I have been written above.My teacher told me this answer.

But from this answer I have another question that "Why is the spin of neutron defined ?"As neutron has no charge ,so no magnetic moment.

4. Feb 20, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please google "neutron magnetic moment" and decide if you might want to post a correction.

5. Feb 20, 2015 #4
    Sorry I was wrong.Neutron has a magnetic moment without having any charge which estimates that neutron is not a fundamental particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook