How fast does an electron spin

In summary, the question of how fast an electron can spin is complicated by the fact that it is not a physical rotation. Its spin is a quantity used to calculate its magnetic moment, and when this is done using the electron's experimentally-determined radius, the calculated speed is greater than the speed of light, which is not possible. Additionally, while electrons have spin, neutrons also have a magnetic moment despite having no charge. This suggests that neutrons may not be fundamental particles.
brianhurren
how fast does an electron spin? if an electron has no volume and is a point, then surly speed would have no meaning. So could it spin at what ever speed it likes? would it just be pure spin (think of a square, it has 4 corners and 4 sides, if the length of the sides were zero, then it would be just 4 corners, would it still be a square?) I was wondering could it spin at over the speed of light? or because of a lack of volume would that also be meaningless?

Physics news on Phys.org
the spin of electron is not actual spin.If you calculate the velocity of rotation of electron using the radius experimentally found you will get the speed is greater than speed of light and that is not possible.

here spin is quantity or number from which we can get the magnetic moment of the electron in analogy of the magnetic moment produced by a current loop

actually I am also not satisfied by this answer which I have been written above.My teacher told me this answer.

But from this answer I have another question that "Why is the spin of neutron defined ?"As neutron has no charge ,so no magnetic moment.

DHIMAN said:
"As neutron has no charge ,so no magnetic moment.

Please google "neutron magnetic moment" and decide if you might want to post a correction.

Sorry I was wrong.Neutron has a magnetic moment without having any charge which estimates that neutron is not a fundamental particle.

1. How is the speed of an electron's spin measured?

The speed of an electron's spin is measured using a technique called Electron Spin Resonance (ESR) or Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (EPR). This technique involves applying a magnetic field to a sample containing electrons and measuring the energy absorbed by the electrons as they change spin states.

2. What is the speed of an electron's spin?

The speed of an electron's spin is typically measured in terms of its frequency, which is the number of rotations per second. This frequency can vary depending on the specific electron and its environment, but is generally around 10^10 to 10^12 rotations per second.

3. Can the speed of an electron's spin be changed?

Yes, the speed of an electron's spin can be changed by applying an external magnetic field or through interactions with other particles. This can result in the electron transitioning to a different spin state with a different speed of rotation.

4. How does the speed of an electron's spin affect its behavior?

The speed of an electron's spin is an important factor in determining its behavior and properties. For example, it can affect its magnetic moment, ability to interact with other particles, and its role in chemical reactions.

5. Is the speed of an electron's spin constant?

No, the speed of an electron's spin is not constant and can vary depending on external factors. However, the concept of spin is a fundamental property of electrons and is always present, even if the speed of rotation changes.