Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fatigue life estimation.

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    I am working on a physics problem in a project to estimate fatigue life of a component.

There is a cam rotating with an offset of 10mm rotating at an rpm of 230. The component is a cantilever fixed at one end is getting hit by this cam while it is rotating. The cam is at the other end of cantilever.

I want to simulate this using basic mechanics to estimate the fatigue life of the component. So far i have done the following

1.peak acceleration due to the component is a(sqr w) where a is the cam offset and w is the frequency of rotation of cam. Call this peak acceleration as A

2.I have calculated the static stresses(principal stress(sigma) and maximum shear stress(tau)) at the cantilever point(fixed end) due to a load of P as sigma

After that how should i proceed to check the fatigue life?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

First thing you can do is to take your alternating stress and compare that to what can be found in S-n diagrams for the material your beam is made out of. That I would think would be the quickest and easiest. If your material has a fatigue limit, you will find it there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?