What's your favorite music for skywatching?

• Music
  • Thread starter thebiggerbang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation is about different types of music that people enjoy listening to while skywatching, including 'Cosmos' by Vangelis, blues and old rock, crickets and tree frogs, and coyotes. Some people also enjoy the sounds of nature while skywatching.
thebiggerbang
What is your fav piece of music you listen to while sky watching? Mine is the unbeatable 'Cosmos' by Vangelis. It gives me a sense of being one with the stars :)

Science news on Phys.org
A great date is take your girlfriend out with a telescope and play this song while watching the sky.

I prefer blues and old rock. Stuff that is old and familiar and won't distract. I got into that groove while doing film astrophotography. That hobby was too demanding and technical and expensive to allow distractions.

I prefer crickets and tree frogs. Music to my ears. :)

I keep forgetting to take my headphones, so no music so far.

dlgoff said:
I prefer crickets and tree frogs. Music to my ears. :)

Or coyotes.

We used to take the kids out of the city to a dead end road out on the prairie with a telescope. At first, the coyotes would stay far away, but slowly they'd get closer and closer as their curiosity overcame their fear.

Eventually they'd get close enough the kids would want to go home. Plus, skywatching is usually better in the winter, so they would be getting a little cold by time the coyotes were getting close.

BobG said:
A great date is take your girlfriend out with a telescope and play this song while watching the sky.

Ah! That songs tops my list since IYA! Great job by Padi Boyd! Wonder if Astrocappella has come out with another album!

Try 'Constellations' by Jack Johnson ;)

BobG said:
I enjoyed that song. Thanks.

Has anyone tried Mozart? BTW I used to observe besides a valley, at night the sound of winds echoing was an amazing experience! :)

1. What type of music is best for skywatching?

There is no one "correct" type of music for skywatching as everyone's musical preferences are different. However, many people find that ambient or instrumental music can enhance the experience of observing the night sky.

2. Does the genre of music affect the quality of skywatching?

No, the genre of music does not affect the quality of skywatching. What matters most is that the music does not distract from the experience and allows the observer to fully immerse themselves in the sky.

3. Can music interfere with the ability to hear sounds from the sky?

If the music is played at a reasonable volume, it should not interfere with the ability to hear sounds from the sky. However, it is important to keep the volume low enough to not overpower the natural sounds of the night.

4. Are there any recommended artists or songs for skywatching?

Again, this is a matter of personal preference. Some people may enjoy classical music while others prefer electronic or new age music. It is recommended to create a playlist of songs that are calming and have minimal lyrics to avoid distraction.

5. Is there any scientific evidence that music enhances the experience of skywatching?

There is limited scientific research on the specific effects of music on skywatching. However, studies have shown that listening to music can have a positive impact on mood and relaxation, which may contribute to a more enjoyable skywatching experience.