Will the FE Exam Include Questions Beyond the Steam Table Limits?

• Thread starter Drew Sandlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Steam
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the properties of steam at odd points, specifically 1.8 MPa, which is not included in the steam tables provided in the reference handbook for the FE exam. The person asking the question is wondering if this will be an issue on the exam and if they will need to estimate the values. Another person suggests that it may be a typo or the problem may be solved using a different method.
Drew Sandlin
Hello all,

I've got a question for folks who have taken the FE exam. I've been doing some thermo prep questions, and I've come across several sample questions (Non-NCEES written) that give properties of steam at odd points, say 1.8 MPa. In the reference handbook I'm using (2008; the 2011 PDF Thermodynamics section looks identical) the steam table only goes to 1 MPa. On the FE exam, will there be questions that cannot be answered using the steam tables given in the reference handbook? I can kind of estimate these state points if the table doesn't have them, but I'd rather know the numbers.

I realize that this is a minor detail in the big scheme of the exam, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Thanks!

Drew

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post the problem you're referring to? You may be required to interpolate between points on the FE, but I can't imagine you will need to guess at a value so far outside the chart's valid range.

My guess is it's either a typo, or the problem is meant to be solved in a way other than with the steam table.

What is the FE Exam Steam Tables Question?

The FE Exam Steam Tables Question is a question found on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, which is a standardized test for individuals seeking to become licensed professional engineers. This question typically involves the use of steam tables, which are tables that provide thermodynamic properties of water and steam at various temperatures and pressures.

Why is the FE Exam Steam Tables Question important?

The FE Exam Steam Tables Question is important because it tests a fundamental understanding of thermodynamics, which is a key concept in the field of engineering. It also assesses a candidate's ability to use steam tables and apply them to solve real-world problems, which is a crucial skill in many engineering disciplines.

What type of information can be found on steam tables?

Steam tables typically provide information about various thermodynamic properties of water and steam, such as specific volume, enthalpy, and entropy. These properties are important in analyzing and designing systems that involve the use of steam, such as power plants, boilers, and steam turbines.

How can I prepare for the FE Exam Steam Tables Question?

To prepare for the FE Exam Steam Tables Question, it is important to have a solid understanding of thermodynamics and how to use steam tables. You can review and practice using steam tables through textbooks, online resources, and practice exams. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the format of the FE exam and the types of questions that may be asked.

Are there any tips for solving the FE Exam Steam Tables Question?

One tip for solving the FE Exam Steam Tables Question is to carefully read and understand the given problem before attempting to use the steam tables. It is also important to pay attention to units and conversions, as well as to use the correct tables and interpolation techniques. Practice using steam tables and solving similar problems can also help improve your skills and speed in answering these types of questions.