Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FE Exam Steam Tables Question

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    Hello all,

I've got a question for folks who have taken the FE exam. I've been doing some thermo prep questions, and I've come across several sample questions (Non-NCEES written) that give properties of steam at odd points, say 1.8 MPa. In the reference handbook I'm using (2008; the 2011 PDF Thermodynamics section looks identical) the steam table only goes to 1 MPa. On the FE exam, will there be questions that cannot be answered using the steam tables given in the reference handbook? I can kind of estimate these state points if the table doesn't have them, but I'd rather know the numbers.

I realize that this is a minor detail in the big scheme of the exam, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Thanks!

Drew

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you post the problem you're referring to? You may be required to interpolate between points on the FE, but I can't imagine you will need to guess at a value so far outside the chart's valid range.

My guess is it's either a typo, or the problem is meant to be solved in a way other than with the steam table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook